Thread: Stumped by suspension???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stumped by suspension???

Im looking at lowering my Astra G 2002 Sxi 1.6 16v. I have a few questions before I part with my hard earned.

* Which is the best setup to go for springs, coil overs or dampers and which is the best make to go for?
    * Does it limit the size of the alloys you can fit on as im looking to fit 17inch soon?
    * I donít want to be grinding out the bottom of the car so is 40mm the safest bet or is 60mm ok?
    * Is it possible to have a set up that doesnít rattle the teeth out of your head as I do like a comfortable drive?
    * I was told I could mix and match the OE suspension with upgraded suspension is that possible if so isnít it better to just uprate the whole lot?

Any help and advice would be gratefully received, thanks in advance. Gavin

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right!

Coil overs = best
    Springs = cheapest
    Dampers = won't lower car, just make it firmer or softer

Doesn't affect alloy size. Tyre size and wheel arch clearance do

I'd go for 40mm as a safest bet on lowering.

OE suspension is a good compromise between handling and comfort. Any sport set up will be harder.

You do not have to lower car to fit bigger alloys as you are changing the height ratio of the tyre so the outer diameter of the wheel stay almost the same as standard. i.e. bigger wheel lower profile tyre.
    Balls 'll get you so far kid.......Then they'll just get you killed!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where in Hants are you mate? If you're close I can give you a demo of the Jamex shocks/spring kit which is a good cheap and popular choice on here. I'm in Farnborough.

Cheap coilovers aren't adjustable for damping so they are going to be hard! A lot of people run these, but "hard" is a term that means different things to different people.

I imagine the Eibach springs and Koni FSD shocks combination is very good for comfort and handling, but thats going to set you back quite a bit - well over £500.
    2006 Astra 1.9CDTi SRi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok 1st off thanks to you both for your help, has given me some food for thought thats for sure, I have heard alot of good things about Jamex and i have heard alot of people mention Eibach & Koni setups. I have been reading up on a few other peoples questions in this section and i found this information interesting:

"i have pi springs 60mm front and 40mm bk cost me £80 also 2 new pi sports shocks for front of car £150 these gave the car a way better look and balenced the car out. also handles better round corners and roundabouts like coilovers are better but more expensive and make ur weels sit at a slant and the inside wears away quite quick and goes bald and you can get dun for that as the outside thread will be as good as new."

Is that even possible they make the inner wall bald? Why on earth would the coil overs do that to your tire, i fail to see how they could be sold when they do that??

Oh and Dave im from between Aldershot and Farnham so not far from you so yeah be great to actually see some of them on a astra give me an idea of what mine could look like. Gavin

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You need to get the alignment all checked after fitting to make sure the camber isn't out. Sounds like that guys camber is badly out. I haven't got round to getting my alignment done yet, but will do ASAP.
    2006 Astra 1.9CDTi SRi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey buddy after much searching found these what do you think?? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAMEX-Coilover...d=p3286.c0.m14

Also if i go for the 18inch Kei alloys i mention to you last night ive noticed people seem to go for a smaller et, what does that refer too the thickness of the tire??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    'ET' is an acronym for the German translation for 'pressed depth'

Basically it means how much the wheel will stick out from the arch. The lower the ET, the more the wheel will stick out. Kei Force 10's are a popular choice with Astra MK4 owners and will fit nicely. They also look particularly good if the are 18inch and on a lowered car.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi matey. That's a coilover kit, so will probably be a much harder ride than mine mate. You can adjust the height though, so that's good.

If you want to stick to shocks+springs you should give performance3000 a call - they aren't even showing my kit despite me buying it from them. I think they just haven't got round to re-listing everything.

The ET is the offset of the wheel. See this for an explanation: http://www.driverstechnologyassociat...eel-offset.htm

Basically, I would get the suspension, then find the wheels you want and ask on here to make sure they won't rub. If the offset is wrong it'll rub on the arch, so best to check with the people on here who run 18" wheels and lowered suspension.
    2006 Astra 1.9CDTi SRi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah ha thanks for the info on that, and it is the force 10's i was looking at they do just seem to suit the astra so well. Im looking at lowering the car 40mm atleast i dont want the ride to be to hard which i think i have got sorted but someone has just confused me further by saying that i need to watch the thickness of tire i go for too, he was saying that the 215x35x18 would possibly give a hard ride due to the 35 part, is that even right? Thanks in advance )

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok ill read that link Dave and try and make sense of it, cheers buddy )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast