Thread: 1.8 problems i really need help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.8 problems i really need help

I bought my W reg 1.8 16v astra coupe 2 weeks ago and since buying it its not been right, i dont have a clue what it is though as iv no idea about mechanics. Iv been keeping track of things and the following points are the main highlights of whats wrong with it.

The car is currently on 89k, with FSH and cambelt change done. It is due a service so im sure that will help it run a little bit fine but i doubt that will be the cause of all these problems.

I need some help cos it's doing my head in! And i have no money to fix it or have it looked at at the moment

1. Car struggles to get over 100mph when in 5th with foot flat to floor on motorway, sometimes struggles to get over 90mph. On the way home from buying the car i did manage to get 120mph but since then its not gone over 105mph. Its like the needle gets stuck but the revs is the same so it cant be it just seems like it dunt wanna go any faster.

2. Car smells of fuel inside the car and out, noticed this alot tonight.

3. Shit fuel economy! I always keep track of mileage from fuel and in my 1.2 corsa i used to get 60-70 miles to £10 and thats with ragging it all over redlining all gears almost. And in the astra i got 60 miles from £10 that was driving to and from work only, so driving in rush hour traffic all the time. And iv just got back from a trip down the motorway and back and i got 84 miles to £20!! that's well sh*t im well not pleased.. i was only doing 105mph max (4.5k revs) cos thats all it would do.

4. Car is really hard to get bite right when setting off in first gear or holding bite at lights, not 100% of the time but most times.

5. Exhaust sounds sh*t when i accelerate, but not because of the type of backbox it sounds like its blowing or something.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like your clutch maybe on its way out if its biteing high and hard to find the biting point too it should bite around half way really i think as for it being really slow the 1.8 16v is hardley high performance 120 mph is pritty much flat out tbh .. and if you lead foot it everywhere it will drink fuel best thing to do is remove the air intake pipe that goes from your airbox onto the throttle body and id say theres a good chance its full of gunk and dirt this makes them run really badley and you have to floor the car just so it moves so well worth a look theres a guide on the site if you get stuck .. but to be onist the 1.8 is a good engine overall fair enough its not the fastest you should of got a turbo if you wanted performance really but its cheap to run if its looked after and running bang on and overall very reliable ive had loads of performance cars myself but i bought my 1.8 coupe as it looks nice its nice to drive and im not getting 8mpg anymore i get around 35 round town and 150 mile to £20 depending on how i drive it and where i fill up so im happy really ... as for the exhaust you best takeing it to a exhaust place greenwoods in rochdale is a good place or do it at home if you can borrow ramps etc and if you can smell fuel it might be blowing at the front and fumes are getting back in the car so check these 2 things first both will make it slower and both will make your mpg worse hope this helps you pal cheers mark

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mmmm. You had a corsa 1.2 and now the astra 1.8. From what I can read your driving style is pretty constant flat out. Sorry to say but I suppose you should try and take it a bit easy, don't floor the pedal all the time and keep the revs low. Instead of redlining, as you said, change gear at aroung 3000 rpm and do not floor the accelerator. You might be suprised how much more miles you do with your petrol.
    Might be hard for you but try it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-Force View Post
    sounds like your clutch maybe on its way out if its biteing high and hard to find the biting point too it should bite around half way really i think as for it being really slow the 1.8 16v is hardley high performance 120 mph is pritty much flat out tbh .. and if you lead foot it everywhere it will drink fuel best thing to do is remove the air intake pipe that goes from your airbox onto the throttle body and id say theres a good chance its full of gunk and dirt this makes them run really badley and you have to floor the car just so it moves so well worth a look theres a guide on the site if you get stuck .. but to be onist the 1.8 is a good engine overall fair enough its not the fastest you should of got a turbo if you wanted performance really but its cheap to run if its looked after and running bang on and overall very reliable ive had loads of performance cars myself but i bought my 1.8 coupe as it looks nice its nice to drive and im not getting 8mpg anymore i get around 35 round town and 150 mile to £20 depending on how i drive it and where i fill up so im happy really ... as for the exhaust you best takeing it to a exhaust place greenwoods in rochdale is a good place or do it at home if you can borrow ramps etc and if you can smell fuel it might be blowing at the front and fumes are getting back in the car so check these 2 things first both will make it slower and both will make your mpg worse hope this helps you pal cheers mark
    I didnt buy the car for a performance car i knew it wasnt gonna be really fast because my mates got the 1.8 corsa and hes spent loads on it and its still not that fast so the coupes gonna be slow standard and heavier but to me, struggling to get over 100mph isnt right my corsa used to do 100mph. I dont lead foot it everywhere lol iv not redlined it once, i was just testing it on the motorway like you do with a new car to see what it can do.
    I'll try find that tutorial thanks, iv not spotted it before though iv looked on the 'how to' page.
    Im gonna get the turbo next year when i have 2NCB i think, this was just a replacement for the corsa as i was bored and wanted slightly more speed for the same money i got for my corsa.
    Something must be wrong though if your getting 150 miles to £20 and i got 84. Fair enough i was trying to get a bit of speed down the motorway but i didnt rag it in all gears i just had foot flat in 5th but it was just sitting at 4.5k at 105mph.
    Okay thanks ill check the exhaust mate, iv been told it could be the fuel filter too?

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdxx View Post
    Mmmm. You had a corsa 1.2 and now the astra 1.8. From what I can read your driving style is pretty constant flat out. Sorry to say but I suppose you should try and take it a bit easy, don't floor the pedal all the time and keep the revs low. Instead of redlining, as you said, change gear at aroung 3000 rpm and do not floor the accelerator. You might be suprised how much more miles you do with your petrol.
    Might be hard for you but try it
    Its not at all mate, it was in the corsa cos you had to redline it to get anywhere but i havent redlined the astra once! i always change gear at 3k and its only in 5th on the motorway where iv put foot flat to floor just to see what it could do and i was very dissapointed that it got stuck at 105mph at 4.5k.. something must be wrong if it wont go any further surely?
    Last week i put £15 in the tank, and all my miles were getting to and from work in rush hour traffic and i only got 65miles out of that. So it seems on average im getting 20mpg which means something is really wrong if everyone else is getting 35mpg. I cruise 90% of the time, i like to just cruise in it its a really nice car to drive and i dont like to rag it. But however i drive it doesnt seem to really change the fuel economy its just low all the time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow WARDY25 On Twitter Add WARDY25 on Facebook
    ermmmmmm i'd check all of what the first lad said, any lights coming on or owt too???? lol im getting 28mpg this week too woohoo
    ASTRA 'J' 330 SRI CDTI RST

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and yours is turbo! wtf?

ill check today, dont know what he means by air intake pipe tho cant find tutorial for that

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Being sensible, driving at 105mph at 4500rpm is going to drink fuel, would go a fair way to explaining the bad fuel economy for that trip.

If you can smell fuel all the time then there's a fair chance you have a fuel leak - this would go further to explain the poor economy too. I wonder if, depending on how bad the leak is, whether this may explain the reduced performance too - if the fuel pump is provifing enough fuel pressure but some of this fuel is leaking out before getting the cylinders, then I'd guess the engine will be underfuelled which may be more noticeable under load (i.e. driving harder/faster).

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Being sensible, driving at 105mph at 4500rpm is going to drink fuel, would go a fair way to explaining the bad fuel economy for that trip.

If you can smell fuel all the time then there's a fair chance you have a fuel leak - this would go further to explain the poor economy too. I wonder if, depending on how bad the leak is, whether this may explain the reduced performance too - if the fuel pump is provifing enough fuel pressure but some of this fuel is leaking out before getting the cylinders, then I'd guess the engine will be underfuelled which may be more noticeable under load (i.e. driving harder/faster).
    i thought 100mph would be a steady speed for an engine of this size therefore wouldnt use that much fuel, not enough to drop my fuel economy by that much anyway.

I dont notice it allll the time but i noticed it a few times last night. Where would it be leaking if so? Could it be a fuel line, fuel tank or fuel filter? Or anything else?

And if the engine was underfuelled would that not make it use less fuel at lower speeds? God knows lol.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    100mph....if I drive much above 80mph in my Z16XE it drinks fuel, a 1.8 isn't going to be much different.

Could be leaking from loads of places, not sure where to start my self.

Underfuelled - if there's a petrol leak then it'll use more fuel whatever speed you do, might even be worse at lower speeds/stop start as the car will not be moving but will be using fuel to idle AND will be losing fuel elsewhere so the mpg will drop severely.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    First port of call for me would be the fuel filter, pipes going to and from the fuel filter, and check the banjo nut on the inlet manifold
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast