I bought my W reg 1.8 16v astra coupe 2 weeks ago and since buying it its not been right, i dont have a clue what it is though as iv no idea about mechanics. Iv been keeping track of things and the following points are the main highlights of whats wrong with it.
The car is currently on 89k, with FSH and cambelt change done. It is due a service so im sure that will help it run a little bit fine but i doubt that will be the cause of all these problems.
I need some help cos it's doing my head in! And i have no money to fix it or have it looked at at the moment
1. Car struggles to get over 100mph when in 5th with foot flat to floor on motorway, sometimes struggles to get over 90mph. On the way home from buying the car i did manage to get 120mph but since then its not gone over 105mph. Its like the needle gets stuck but the revs is the same so it cant be it just seems like it dunt wanna go any faster.
2. Car smells of fuel inside the car and out, noticed this alot tonight.
3. Shit fuel economy! I always keep track of mileage from fuel and in my 1.2 corsa i used to get 60-70 miles to £10 and thats with ragging it all over redlining all gears almost. And in the astra i got 60 miles from £10 that was driving to and from work only, so driving in rush hour traffic all the time. And iv just got back from a trip down the motorway and back and i got 84 miles to £20!! that's well sh*t im well not pleased.. i was only doing 105mph max (4.5k revs) cos thats all it would do.
4. Car is really hard to get bite right when setting off in first gear or holding bite at lights, not 100% of the time but most times.
5. Exhaust sounds sh*t when i accelerate, but not because of the type of backbox it sounds like its blowing or something.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!