Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Insurance Premium Increase!?!

hi,
    i insured my 1.8 sri astra last year with my 17yr old newly passed brother on the policy for £1500 from zurich which i thought was very reasonable at the time considering his age and experience. Now it is coming close to renewal i am looking for quotes and the cheapest i seem to be finding is around the £2100 mark! (from my current insurer) i am totally confused as to why this is as i havnt incurred any points or claims and neither has my brother. i would have thought it would be cheaper this time round as he is 18 with 1yrs experience.

Any1 know why this could be?! and any good insurers for young drivers.

thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think the insurance companies normally hike the premium up and it's therefore up to you to take a look round at other companies. As for recommendations, Admiral and Elephant are usually good except if you intend on modding. I am pretty sure you can get a few hundred off your renewal quote if you were only paying 1500 yast year. Also try Adrian Flux, they usually seem to have some good prices for the people on here.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jran7337 View Post
    Admiral and Elephant are usually good except if you intend on modding
    Really? they have a modified car policy but i dont know much about it just assumed they would be ok as that policy exists?

I went to Compare the Market and Admiral came up cheapest

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Phil, although they do cover mods, their prices are not great and you don't get like for like replacement if your mods are damaged (not sure if this is different on the modified car policy). I am currently with them and they've not charged me too badly for the mods, but others on here have been quoted silly prices for simple things like tinting windows. Rest assured, I will be moving to someone like Adrian Flux next year who do cover like for like

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your insurance premium has increased because your insurers are gambling that you will not look elsewhere. The logic goes that they were the cheapest last year so there's no point looking around again - which is simply shash.

They are also gambling that you just may not think its worth your time to look round for a better deal.

Go elsewhere for a quote.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have just had my renewal and the quote is still around the £1000 mark very similar to what i paid last year, i expected a decrease this year.

i went to adrian flux and they quoted just short of £3000?

i wouldn't really say that was good?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you tried going on to the site for the company you are with and getting a new quote? I did this and pay £375 fully comprehensive (for a different model). I had to take out a new policy and not renew the original one just to save £150. I also got a discount for paying in full online. No messing with proof of no claims as they already had it. I phoned to ask why there was such a difference and no one could give me an answer.
    Try it and see what happens, just feed all your existing details in. If you do it this way make sure you don't leave a gap in cover.
    I find price comparison sites exclude insurance companies, probably those who don't pay to be promoted. Direct Line is one company that refuses to pay sites to push their products,
    I find a huge difference in price each year, I have been quoted 3 times what I pay now for far less of a policy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldnt say admiral are bad with mods... I just had a quote off them. At current im paying £306 with Zurich as its modded...

Admiral with my mods declaired quoted me £1100 which is £150 ish a month!

Adrian Flux gave me an online quote of around the 2.3k mark. I will speak to them tomorrow afternoon but admiral said they are not anti modifications providing they do not change the power of the engine... which is when they charge more money

and for £25 there was an option to take out mod cover too... not brilliant cover but its deffo cheap!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try getting a NEW QUOTE as a NEW CUSTOMER off your same insurance company, usually they try **** you out of money as alot of people will just renew...

Guarantee it comes out much cheaper!
    Driving Audi TT 225 Q

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As others have recommended, Adrian Flux all the way, i have been with them ever since i owned my Astra purely because of the like for like mods and the fact they were cheaper and easier to deal with than anyone else! Also i believe you get a discount for being an AOC member?