Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Diagnostic port????

Hi everyone,

Some of you might remember my post a week or so back about my car being in limp mode, suspected dodgy EGR valve. Well the engine management light went off and has come back on again. Bought a fault code reader that plugs into the diagnostic port of my car.

Was told its near the steering column but cant seem to find it, where is it located so i can plug this fault reader in ?!?! Think im being really stupid here and i bet its staring me right in the face.

On a side note thinking of buying a scanguage II after this issue is sorted which plugs into the same port, anyone had any experiences with them?

Cheers all,

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is it a mk4? If so its under the bit of plastic direclt below the handbrake, I use a bic biro lid (the pointy bit obviously) to lever from the front edge (nearest the gear stick surround) then it just pops up and away you go...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Out of interest, what scanner do you have and whay year is your motor...?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by graeme647 View Post
    Out of interest, what scanner do you have and whay year is your motor...?
    Yep mk4 ah ok brilliant, thats probably one of the only places i havent looked haha,

I just bought a scanner for £30 off of ebay as kwik fit wanted £30 to do it once so thought i might aswell get a scanner and sell it on or something, its this on here.....
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_3196wt_1081

Also the car is a late 2002 sxi model. So i think im right on the borderline if it will work with it or not. Kind of got carried away and just bought it fingers crossed tho. Your not just about to pee on my bonfire are you ?!

ps cheers for sharp reply

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lol, nope, that'll work fine with yours!

I did the same, I've got a house littered with scanners and just brought another...

1. ELM USB interface for scantool / vauxchech
    2. Tech2 something or other from China that came with hungarian software that I've never got working.
    3. Maxscan handheld similar to yours but gives live sensor data
    4. Just brought an Op Com from china for programing keys etc so will se how that goes in a few wks.

The one you've got will read the code and you'll have to check it online, just check on here or search "dtc codes" in google for an extensive online list.

N.b. my handheld wont give me the code unless its been plugged in for a minute or two, I think yours should work instantly, try it engine running first and then if no luck disconnect and try with the ignition on but the engine off...

Good luck...

Oh btw, did you mention in your old post that you thought the car was in limp mode? If so it shouldnt be from an egr error but the egr operation might cause it to run badly of stuck open.

P.s. mines a MK4 1.8 2002 SXI...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by graeme647 View Post
    Lol, nope, that'll work fine with yours!

I did the same, I've got a house littered with scanners and just brought another...

1. ELM USB interface for scantool / vauxchech
    2. Tech2 something or other from China that came with hungarian software that I've never got working.
    3. Maxscan handheld similar to yours but gives live sensor data
    4. Just brought an Op Com from china for programing keys etc so will se how that goes in a few wks.

The one you've got will read the code and you'll have to check it online, just check on here or search "dtc codes" in google for an extensive online list.

N.b. my handheld wont give me the code unless its been plugged in for a minute or two, I think yours should work instantly, try it engine running first and then if no luck disconnect and try with the ignition on but the engine off...

Good luck...

Oh btw, did you mention in your old post that you thought the car was in limp mode? If so it shouldnt be from an egr error but the egr operation might cause it to run badly of stuck open.

P.s. mines a MK4 1.8 2002 SXI...
    Damn you got a lot of tools lol, whats the one for programming keys?? is that in the sense of programming car keys? Iv always wanted to do that mod that changes the standard astra key to a flip out key but seems a lot of work...

Yeh well im not too sure actually, turned car on - engine management light was on but drive fine for 2 weeks thought it would just go away..... then one day turned car on and it was in limp mode so i drove home and left it, turned it on next day , engine management light was still on but it was out of limp mode HOWEVER it has been a bit on the sluggish side so im not really too sure what it is ?!?!

Might try cleaning the EGR valve using the guide on here but dont know if im barking up the wrong tree really......

Hopefully the scanner will tell me the correct code. Whats your thoughts??

Iv heard the egr valves do get stuck half open on these astras is that a replacement job or can a good clean sort it?

Good to talk to someone with the exact same car, makes it ALOT easier haha

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah the scanner will be fine, I've heard a lot of review of that one and albeit basic it will get you the code and hopefully point in the right direction!

I had EGR problems on my last one, cleaned it with WD40 first, let it soak then blasted it with carb cleaner to get the WD40 out, its been fine for the last 6 months now. Most people on here will say replace it but its up to you.

Incidentally, limp mode is to protect the car, the most common reason for it is that the ecu thinks the CAT could get damaged and that combined with an emissions light makes me think maybe the llambda (o2) sensor in the engine bay at the front of the block will be at fault. If its that it would read a code of O2 Sensor 1 Bank 1...

As for key programing, I only heard about op com (search "OP Com" on ebay for details) the other day so will report back once I've received it in a couple of weeks and had a play, to key program you need the Car Pass which if you're lucky will be in with your handbook etc otherwise its about £25 to replace care of vauxhall.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice yea id be interested to hear how you get on with that. Mmmmm yea actually i do remember the MOT man saying the emissions were on the high side and he muttered something about the lambda sensor. So we shall see, il post up the fault code when I get round to it , wont be for a few days yet! Cheers for the advice and good luck with the OP Com ... just about to go search it myself on ebay haha.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey mate, just to let you know Iv done the diagnostic thing now, started a new thread;
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...03#post1957903
    If you'v got any ideas which hopefully you will with the amount of scanners you have lol, please feel free to chip in !