AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wall mounted gas fires

Has anyone got a wall mounted gas fire?

We have a chimney so any one can be fitted but unsure as we dont know anything about them.

How they are to use, heat output etc etc.

Something like this:
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    My parents have got one, more of one that looks the 'original' part, as in goes down to the hearth (sp).

Heat output is just like the real log fire that they used to have up until two years ago, just loads less dust and ruined carpets where the logs would spit out burning lumps!

Their real fireplace is still open behind it iirc, so if the next people who own the house want an open fire, it would be easy enough to set up again.

That one pictured looks lovely

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Our coal fire was removed ages ago and boarded up but no idea how/if they sealed it or not.

It was plaster boarded over and a council gas fire fitted (It was a council house\at the time).

The one pictures is quite wide but I'm not sure how big the opening would need to be for the fire bit.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    You would probably find that the actual 'fire' part of it is as wide as a normal width fireplace

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    hi mate i am not someone just giving my 2p worth i have been a qualified gas man for 7 years.

you will find the majority of these fires are flueless they incorparate a catalitick converter and in my oppinion and the majority of qualified engineers they are dangerous and i would stay away from flueless appliances.

if this is the look you want i would reccomend an electric model look just as good and thew will give aroung the same kw

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Complete twoddle, if they are dangerous would they be sold ??? pmsl

We've had flue and now a flueless one, both much of a much ness and give it plenty of heat. We have a rad in the room to as they aren't man enough to heat the size we have

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hi jack the thread, if u have a flu-less fire dont u need a constant natural source of ventilation?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNikon View Post
    Complete twoddle, if they are dangerous would they be sold ??? pmsl

We've had flue and now a flueless one, both much of a much ness and give it plenty of heat. We have a rad in the room to as they aren't man enough to heat the size we have

ask yourself one question cleve boy do catalitic converters block can you strip and clean a cat no.

so when you have your flued gas fire checked you can do a flue flow to check continuity of the flue the a spillage check to confirm products are being passed uf the flue a flueless fire can be visually checked and performance tested to check no co is being emmited on the day off a service then the day after who is to say i aint getting into it any way cause you have got one so they are obviously the best.

only thing i will say is buy yourself a co detector.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you still have have a chimney get a log burning stove look much better and cheap to run and the heat they generate is amazing plus you can get ones that heat your water . we have one in our old stone built cottage and sinse it was installed it has halfed our heating bill
    slightly tweeked zaffy gsi. vxr turbo. scorpian precat. scorpian 200 cel sports cat. miltek cat back sytem. lowered on jom coilovers. 18" lxy haines

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgasmatt View Post
    ask yourself one question cleve boy do catalitic converters block can you strip and clean a cat no.

so when you have your flued gas fire checked you can do a flue flow to check continuity of the flue the a spillage check to confirm products are being passed uf the flue a flueless fire can be visually checked and performance tested to check no co is being emmited on the day off a service then the day after who is to say i aint getting into it any way cause you have got one so they are obviously the best.

only thing i will say is buy yourself a co detector.
    As a qualified gas fitter i would have expected more - a check is only as good as the day its done, you test a flue who says its not blocked the next day ? The converters in these fires are fully serviceable, and even state they should be serviced although i cant remember the timescales involved off the top of my head.

Our current one is flue'd but there is no different between that and the fluless one in performance, in fact i would say this one is slightly worse. Major differences are prices and fitting, but again you already know this

As for CO detector then i am amazed you dont recommend them no matter what these days !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast