AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Rear Sides Break Light Mystery

hi

my car is an astra mk4 51 plate silver 5 door 1.6litre

i've got a problem with my rear breaklights (the first set of red lights at the top, left and right side). They dont seem to be working when i tap the brake pedal. The middle brake light above the glass on the back window works when pressing the brake just the side rear lights dont work. I attempted some troubleshooting, though im a total beginner so i apologise if i get some terms wrong.

Firstly i changed the light bulbs and still didnt get the lights to come on. So i thought it could be a fuse in the fuse box.

I removed the fuse box (right hand side next to steering wheel) and was bombarded with loads of numbers n fuses so i gave up here as i wasnt sure which controls the rear brakelights.

I then took apart the rear lights and using a voltmeter i checked if a current was coming thru when tapping the brake. I noticed that no power was coming thru to that set of lightbulbs (top red ones) even when i pressed the brake pedal. The rest of the rear lights all had power flowing to them when in use.

So all i've narrowed it down to is the black n blue wire for the rear brake lights doesnt get power tho the middle brake light above the rear window works (i think this uses seperate wiring from the side brake lights)

Anyone have any ideas. Sorry if it was explained lamely. If you need any more information let me know.

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astrakix View Post
    I then took apart the rear lights and using a voltmeter i checked if a current was coming thru when tapping the brake. I noticed that no power was coming thru to that set of lightbulbs (top red ones) even when i pressed the brake pedal. The rest of the rear lights all had power flowing to them when in use.
    just out of curiosity did you realise the top lights on the rear cluster are for the fog lights? the bottom ones are the ones you need, its either a: a fuse has gone (diagram should be in your owners manual showing you the right fuse and ampage) or b: the bulbs in there are incorrect as you need the bulb that works both the night lights and brake light from the same bulb, my moneys on fuse hth
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The top brake light is just wired in parrallel to the main brake lights, so as this lights up then the fuses will be fine, as will the brake switch.
    Sounds like you have faulty bulbs.
    As elmogimp says, the top lights are fogs, you need to check the lower ones.
    The bulbs are a dual contact type, combined sidelight/brakelight bulb. Make sure you fit the correct type.
    Make sure you have clean contacts on the bulb holders as well.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The Black/Yellow is the brake light wire at the rear lights
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason