Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking photo's, blurred background, car in focus..

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Taking photo's, blurred background, car in focus..

I need a how to! I've seen alot of you taking photo's of your cars where the car is in crystal clear focus, and the background is blurry, or slightly out of focus. Classic example was one on a shore I saw the other day and they had blurred out the beach behind. Looked so good and professional, I wouldnt even mind some against factory units etc. So how do you do this?

I have a Fujifilm DSLR, and have looked at some Panning How To's online, but seems to just be showing how to do it for moving shots. This is obv gonna be a still one..

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by fourteenhundred View Post
    On the other hand, tell them to far-cough!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Your going to struggle to do it on a still shot without the use of photoshop I think. Only way to do it without photoshoping it afterwards would be to use a zoom lens with a large aperture. Stand well back from the car and use the lens on full zoom, this may give the desired effect

This was using a 50mm prime lens with F1.8. Only gives the effect on close ups though, if I was to take a picture of the whole car the depth of field would be bigger so the background would be semi in focus.

No photoshop effects on this

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats exactly what im after, I really need some lessons, thanks alot for that buddy. They are stunning pics, and just look so professional. Great stuff mate, how do you edit them on photoshop after if I cant get that affect, I have photoshop CS3..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you have a dslr you should be able to change the aperture (f stop) manually which means you wouldn't have to force the aperture with the zoom in stand far away trick but you'd need to compensate with other settings, if you have an aperture priority mode (sort of semi automatic) you'll get some great shots. Get yourself a circular polarized lens too, it takes all the reflection off the windows and / or bodywork, will do some examples over the weekend if i get chance. Oh and google online photography courses, there are lots out there that do lots of free tips.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, would be great too see some of your shots to. Finally worked it out on my camera, will go out and do some at the weekend and post them up. Interesting thing photography is!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    To get that effect on photoshop, draw around the car using the lasso tool. Then copy and past the car into a new layer. Then select the background layer, and go Filter>blur>lens blur and just mess around with the sliding bars till it gives the effect you want.

Spend some time cutting around the car though to give nice curves, otherwise it will look a bit square and obvious it has been done in photoshop.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graeme647 View Post
    If you have a dslr you should be able to change the aperture (f stop) manually which means you wouldn't have to force the aperture with the zoom in stand far away trick but you'd need to compensate with other settings, if you have an aperture priority mode (sort of semi automatic) you'll get some great shots.
    But most standard lenses don't go bigger than F3.5 which isn't going to give a blurred background on a short focal length. Unless you have a prime lens with a huge aperture or a decent zoom lens with a big aperture you won't get any blur. Even when using a zoom lens on full length, the camera will still need to be aperture priority mode to make sure its set to the largest F-stop possible, as won't automatically do that depending on the lighting conditions and the ISO setting.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok il give that a go now, sounds quite straight forward. Im going to have a look at some cameras online now. Love taking good pictures of the car, makes it look even better. They have all been on the phone so far.. Thanks alot for the tips guys, gonna make it a hell of a lot easier with a basis to work with.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    But most standard lenses don't go bigger than F3.5 which isn't going to give a blurred background on a short focal length. Unless you have a prime lens with a huge aperture or a decent zoom lens with a big aperture you won't get any blur. Even when using a zoom lens on full length, the camera will still need to be aperture priority mode to make sure its set to the largest F-stop possible, as won't automatically do that depending on the lighting conditions and the ISO setting.
    True, sorry i hear dslr and expect big tele lenses and the like, quite right, a standard lens won't do it well or you'll end up with the number plate in focus and the windscreen blurred.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    in photoshop just use the blur tool around the car..using your mouse
    Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast