Thread: Confusion over rollers z20let - timing belt

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Confusion over rollers z20let - timing belt

I am changing my timing belt myself on my zafira gsi (z20let) and have had a few happenings when ordering the kit. I ordered everything i needed and payed for it, vauxhall told me i only needed one roller and whilst i told them I was sure there were two rollers on the car, they insisted there was only one. So anyway, when I stripped the car down i was right...there are two rollers so i was back on the phone to vauxhall only for them to tell me they had made a mistake and unfortunately did not have the other roller which i needed and had to order it...downed tools for a couple of days. Today, I went to collect it and carried on with my car to then find that they had given me a differnt roller to what I needed, it was deeper. On my car the two rollers are identical, however when I went back to vauxhall and they got the info up on the screen it was showing that my engine should have the one which they supplied (the deeper one)! In the end, the mechanics decided that even though it was showing I need two different rollers, I should stick to putting two of the same ones back on as thats how it was before. They cannot understand why this has happened and it has left me baffled. Has anyone else come accross this problem? Note: I've had the car from new and nobody has changed the belt before.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds like they have been giving you the run about there, I dont think there are any DOHC engines with only one roller, I am sure they would have known that.
    I changed my cam belt recently and I have two different rollers, one has a lip on the front and the other has the lip on the back. Also there is one with the bolt sticking out of the front of the roller and one where its recessed deeply. I cant remember what the engine casing is like but I think they are interchangable as long as you use the right centre bolt. Maybe its an parts simplification on later Z20LETs, you dont say how old the car is but mine is 2001 vintage.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its a 53 plate. They didn't even knnow if it was a new modified roller or not. They don't seem to know alot there...only what the computer tells them!! Maybe next time, I'll go to a different vauxhall garage!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes there was a revision on the exhaust roller part way throught the Z20LET run

Models upto engine numbers
    ->32999999
    ->35999999
    ->36999999
    ->38999999
    ->3B999999
    ->3H999999
    used part number 90529810 for both inlet and exhaust

Engine numbers from
    42000001->
    45000001->
    48000001->
    4B000001->
    4H000001->
    used 90529810 on the INLET & 55353701 on the EXHAUST

If you have the earlier engine with identical rollers then there isnt a complete timing belt kit available and individual parts need to be ordered

Technically speaking there isnt one for the later models BUT the Mk5 LEH/R/L are 100% identical and a kit can be ordered to save on costs (part number being 93185844 for anyone interested)

Just thought id point out the above just in case!!!!

Early models appear to use a M10x50 bolt on the roller wheras the later models (and Mk5 etc) use M10x30

Like mentioned above, Im fairly sure (99%) that using the correct roller and bolt isnt a problem as long as they correspond with each other

HTH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can use the X20XER kit if you have an earley Z20LET.
    888 Coupe - The original and best!
    For sale - 1x Kidney, Slightly abused by alcohol
    £45,000 or Part Ex for VXR8 Bathurst-S

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra 1.9 cdti xpack
    Mentioned in
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    As mentioned above, just ask them for the astra H LEH timing belt kit, I fit it on my engine which had the two identical rollers on and its perfect. the vxr use a metal exhaust side roller and the standard plastic type at the rear of the engine.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks alot to everyone, that explains the confusion. I wonder why they did that?