Thread: Custom Aluminium Air Cone Filter Enclosure

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Custom Aluminium Air Cone Filter Enclosure

Hey guys. I plan to very soon create an enclosure for my Pipercross Cone filter, fitted to my 1.6 8v astra. I've heard endless up's and downs about cone filters and their ability to suck in huge amounts of warm air, evem with a heat shield.

My "custom enclosure" idea is to create an aluminium surround for the cone filter, with two holes. One will be to house the air filter and allow the feed to the engine, and the other will allow for a cold air feed pipe to be attached to the aluminium enclosure.

It will be detatchable - for future cleaning, and Will probably be held in place by hose clamps (the clamps which you screw to tighten) which will hold it onto the cone filters pipe.

I shall post images of my project when has started, this is the perfect oppitunity I feel to gain the maximum out of a cone filter. IMHO no peformance gains will be reached, but at least I know a large amount of hot air will NOT be sucked into the engine!

If anyone cares to throw in any comments, be they negative or posative about what I am about to do, then please feel free - after all, this is only a project...

Matt

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You can probably do as well just to fence off the engine bay from the cone and ensure air flow from the grill to the cone...

Fencing the cone in too much may end up defeating the purpose of the cone, I'm interested to see some pictures

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My initial idea (dimension wise) was to enclose the filter with roughly 30-40mm gap between the cone filter and the aluminuim enlcosure. Due to the filter being enclosed I would then buy a large cold air pipe possibly 70mm -100m in diameter to force alot of cold air in, then mount the pipe somewhere down near the grill. Of course this is all idea's at the moment, but without trying...you never know.

Any rough guesses as to how much this would effect the cones peformance?

Matt

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how about making two boxes so that one fits inside the other then you could fill the gap between the two boxes with loft insulation in a simular way to how a cavity wall works,dont think the extra weight would be an issue but iam sure the insulation qualities of a void filled with insulation would stop loads of heat being absorbed by just one layer of aluminuim,feel free to shot me down in flames.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That is a good idea Ledster But now space comes into the Equasion. At the moment I have my filter positioned more or less tucked into the right hand side behind the drivers light, its quite a distance from the radiator and the engine, the two hottest points of the engine bay. My idea was based on space and also efficiency...its going to be one hell of a fun time balancing the two Although, insulation .... I could try and spray the aluminium with heat resistant paint? Not sure if that would do much, but every little helps?

If all else fails and It goes tits up, I might try nry's idea and "fence" of the cone from the engine, then lay a piece of rubber on top of the aluminium to stop it smashing on the bonnet.

Matt

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think that type of thing (the fencing off) has been done before, anything else is getting so close to the OEM airbox design with a Vectra C intake pipe fitted, it seems a bit pointless...

If you have the time and skills vent the bonnet near the windscreen and make a sealed and filtered air intake (sealed as in no air gets in/out of it except to the air intake), this would have a shorter intake pipe than the OEM/cone filter design and still be sucking in cold air.

The airflow into the engine bay goes through the radiator/over the engine, you'll be surprised how hot the air is even where you say your cone is. 10c in increased air intake temp roughly loses you 1% power and I bet the air temps in a cone filter is a fair bit above the air you'd get in from the OEM design with a Vectra C pipe.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was thinking of a 10mm gap between the boxes,stuff with insulation material .simple test get a hair dryer and a piece of alley,heat up and feel how hot the other side gets then do the same with 2 bits of alley and a piece of isulation between them and heat up again and touch the inner one?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Or just go back to the OEM airbox, Vectra C intake pipe, heat wrap the whole setup, that should keep air intake temps down well enough. At a guess, the intake air is moving so fast it probably won't soak up much heat from the surrounding pipework, but if the intake is open to hot engine bay air then it will suffer. Do the maths at a chosen rpm, even a 1.6 engine shifts unbelievable amounts of air per minute.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    I think that type of thing (the fencing off) has been done before, anything else is getting so close to the OEM airbox design with a Vectra C intake pipe fitted, it seems a bit pointless...

If you have the time and skills vent the bonnet near the windscreen and make a sealed and filtered air intake (sealed as in no air gets in/out of it except to the air intake), this would have a shorter intake pipe than the OEM/cone filter design and still be sucking in cold air.

The airflow into the engine bay goes through the radiator/over the engine, you'll be surprised how hot the air is even where you say your cone is. 10c in increased air intake temp roughly loses you 1% power and I bet the air temps in a cone filter is a fair bit above the air you'd get in from the OEM design with a Vectra C pipe.
    i have had the idea of cutting some vents into my bonnet directly above (or very close in front of) my k&n cone filter... it just seems the best way to get cold fresh air(obviously while moving at a degree of speed) into the air intake...
    maybe put some sort of enclosure/boxing around it to correspond with the bonnet vents...
    also with a secondary air feed coming from below the ofside front headlight when at standstill...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you get the vents wrong you could make engine bay temps worse, but if it is boxed in well it can be a good thing. Engine bay airflow is far too complicated for me at the moment, the ideal would be sticking one of the old style air filters (as per the one I had on my Nova SR, a big circle bolted onto the carb) directly on the TB and having a big sealed bonnet vent around it...but that might just suck in a bit too much water

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast