Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

newbie with a problem

im new to the site so can i start by saying hello

i drive a 1998 astra G 1.8 sport but am having a litle problem. i am having to fill the coolant up once a week but havent a clue where its going.its been doing it for about 3 month now but starting to get annoying/worrying.

ive tried a few things to try and sort it which include new thermostat,new coolant filler cap,giving system a flush then adding rad-weld(just in case) and most recently had head gasket checked at the weekend but all is fine.

i dont think its heater matrix as not noticed any coolant on carpits and there are no leaks at all what ive noticed around front of car.also the coolant is flowing back into filler tank while cars running like it should.

so im totally stuck at what to do next.anyone have any ideas at all. thanks

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Could be your water pump goosed which is bad as thats run by the cam belt which if the pump fails you've got a 50/50 chance of it ruining your timing belt..... valves....heads...AA...Huge repair bill ect ect.

You say you've 'checked' the head gasket have you done a compression test or did you just have the head off and fitted a new gasket?
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry pal forgot to mention had timing belt and waterpump done aswell as i thought it could have been that. it was compression test i had done mate.garage said it was all fine on that and also said if it was head it should have totally gone now with how long its been happening.

one thing i have noticed though is that if i give system a good flush then the coolant stays pretty level for quite a bit then all of a sudden it will start going down again more quickly and need refilling once a week again.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    have u checked properly for leaks? i had same prob on my turbo couldnt figure out where it was going turns out theres a tiny crack on the n/s radiator mount which only leaks when pressurised eg driving at full temp, would never leak when left idling
    2006 Astra VXR, Flame Red, 19's, AFL, Cruise Control, CD70 + Aux in, CID, Bluetooth, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Sight & Light, Check Control, Speed Locking

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think thats next thing to check mate.thinking of taking radiator off for a good check.its about only thing left to check haha

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    1. You havent mentioned the radiator yet (EDIT until your most recent post lol). Put a piece of white paper underneath it overnight and check for stains on the morning.
    2. You mentioned that you have flushed the system. After re-filling the system. It will need topping up every few days for at least a week, as the coolant finds its way back into every nook and cranny of the system.
    3. Have you checked the hoses for any crazing/wetness?
    4. Have you checked under the header tank? These can split at the bottom.

Welcome to AOC by the way
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I