Thread: My boost pressure on stage 3 Regal EDS Map

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My boost pressure on stage 3 Regal EDS Map

I have just plumbed in a boost gauge to my coupe turbo running a regal EDS stage 3 map with a full exhaust bigger intercooler, VXR turbo etc. Since iv had it iv never been fully convinced it is running at its fullest. While in 3rd or 4th gear i get approx 1.2bar overboost and dropping off as the revs rise. . sometimes if i labour it in those gears i sometimes get 1.3bar or so dropping as the revs rise. looking at the regal website it should be 1.5bar and dropping to 1.1. Could i adjust the actuator to increase this? its showing approx 4 threads?
    This VXR turbo hasnt been on long so wondering if perhaps its not been set up correct?
    Any help or advise would be great.
    Thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as long as the actuator is not miles out, then it should be okay, as the front BCS controls boost pressures in general, via the ECU.

check all pipes for any leaks, including those around the intercooler, rear BCS and boost gauge.

Also, if you have a dumpvalve, check for leaks. If it is a Baileys, they are known to have weak springs which will cause a leak on boost.

If none of these identifies the problem, then it may be a trip back to Regal to let them sort it out.
    FYTuning Ltd - Coming Soon

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have disabled the rear BCS and have had a good look over for boost leaks. . i am running a Baileys dump valve alongside the original VXR one. . perhaps i mite disable that and see? The turbo and front boost control solenoid looks like new and was told that it was replaced only 2 months ago with the turbo.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same problem i have also mate. I am running stage 2 EDS but i only get 1.1 over boost and 0.9 boost. The problem is that i must boost 1.3 and get 1 boost. I check the front BCS, the boost leaks, blocked the rear BCS and still nothing. Sometimes it is over boosting to 1.5 but only for a few seconds and after disappears. I am thinking 2 things: either the actuator is weak and bleeds boost out as it gets full boost either the turbo has some problems.
    Astra Coupe Z20LET EDS stage 2

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah was thinking it could be a actuator or BCS problem but as the turbo has only been on mine a couple of months. i think ill disable the dump valve first later and go from there. Ill ring Regal as well.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you have the blanking part in the turbo instead of the spring?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im not sure weather the blanking part is in the original dump valve location. . i guess it isnt? is it ok to use both the standard working and the baileys? when i first had the car the hose that went to the dump valve wasnt even connected! wouldnt that cause it to leak? as i used a mitivac to vac test the original dump valve and it was working under pressure.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes that would cause a fault if it wasnt plumbed in rite. as for the oe d/v, you either run one or the other, not both together ortherwise you get boost levels problems

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a update on this, disabled the baileys dump valve with a blanking plate (also blanking off the vac hose) and boost pressure was the same. Spoke to Regal and they said if the actuator isnt set up correct then you wouldnt get correct boost pressures so i then went about tweaking the actuator tighter a few threads and it has brought the boost pressure closer now (1.4bar peak and dropping off as the revs rise) so now happier with that. Also spoke to baileys yesterday to find out about a spacer for the original dump valve and they said that courtney and regal dont space the original dump valve off to stop it working if using a aftermarket dump valve? how is everyone elses set up?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i run both dumpvalves, standard and aftermarket.

my understanding is that the ECU takes a reading from the standard dumpvalve as part of the fuelling cycle. if you blank the standard dumpvalve off, the car will still run with some owners experiencing minor differences, e.g. not as smooth at lower revs. If you do blank it off, make sure your aftermarket dumpvalve is connected.

On mine, the engine runs smooth, no idle problems, and it boosts strong.

it all comes down to personal preference.
    FYTuning Ltd - Coming Soon