Thread: GSi badge to return (Astra/Zafira/Meriva)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

GSi badge to return (Astra/Zafira/Meriva)

The GSi name is making a come back.

It's quite a clever move on Vauxhalls part.

The VXR badge is being kept for the Insignia and all other 3dr models.

Heres the info I have.

VXR
    The new Astra VXR will be powered with a development of the Insignia's A20 NET engine which is the 220PS all alloy unit. (Based on Vectra C's Z20 NET).

Power figures for the new VXR have not been signed off, but it is to be expected to be around the 270bhp mark and 4x4 transmission. Vauxhall are not going to go up against the 300bhp RS Focus because they beleive that a lower powered car with 4 wheel drive and better driving dynamics will make for a better hot hatch. Think Audi's 265bhp S3 Quattro and you'll on the right lines. I think this is a better way forward.

GSi

The new Astra I 5dr will be topped by the GSi 2.0 Turbo, the same engine as the VXR but with 2wd and slightly less power, again power figures have not been signed off but expect around 230/240bhp.

The Twin Turbo 2.0 CDTi (190PS) is also rumoured to be making an appearence in the new GSi, although this has not yet been confirmed.

Time will tell if 4x4 will be available but I reckon the 4x4 will be kept for the VXR.

But saying that, you can now order an Insignia SRi 4x4 2.0 Twin Turbo Diesel.

SRi

As always, the SRi badge will be appearing on the new Astra. The range topping petrol being the 180PS 1.6 Turbo, as well as the new 130PS 1.4 Turbo. The 130PS and 160PS diesel engines will be available.

Zafira and Meriva.

The new Zafira C and Meriva B will have hot models but in the form of GSi which I think is a brilliant move as the original Zafira GSi was a better car all round that the VXR. Zafira GSi 4x4 anyone? Not sure if this will happen but what a car if it did. The twin turbo diesel engine will be in the new Zafira, I would expect in GSi form.

The new Zafira GSi (Due 2012) will have the Astra GSi's all alloy 2.0 Turbo. Bot sure what the Meriva will get but probably the 1.6 T again.
    New engines

Vauxhall Opel will pretty much have a total turbo line up within the next few years once the current 1.8 VVC has been dropped.

These are the engines we know :-

1.6 Turbo 150PS (Corsa)
    1.6 Turbo 180PS (Astra & Insignia)
    1.6 Turbo 192PS (Corsa VXR)

New 1.4 Turbo 130 or 140PS (New Astra)

2.0 Turbo 220PS (Insignia)
    2.8 Turbo 260PS (Insignia)
    2.8 Turbo 325PS (Insignia VXR)

There is rumour of a 200PS 1.8 Turbo. All 1.6 Turbo's have the 1.8 cylinder head anyway so it would not be hard to produce.

From a personal point of view, I think these new models and the GSi name will be fantastic for Vauxhall.

Insignia VXR

The Insignia VXR's 325PS engine will be based on the Elite's 260PS version but with a different turbo and internals.

Once the VXR is launched, the same VXR engine will be then be installed in the Elite with a down tune to 260bhp. So you know what that means!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The new astra doesn't have 4x4 - this has come from 'Dougie' (Manages the VXR brand I think, but he's deffo high up in Vauxhall) on VXROnline.

This also means (as I think they will use the same platform) that the Zaffy won't be 4x4 either.
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
    The new astra doesn't have 4x4 - this has come from 'Dougie' (Manages the VXR brand I think, but he's deffo high up in Vauxhall) on VXROnline.

This also means (as I think they will use the same platform) that the Zaffy won't be 4x4 either.
    I know Dougie very well, he is the VXR product manager. I also know his boss.

I got the info about the Astra's 4x4 system from a guy I know at Opel in Germany.

Maybe only they will offer the 4x4 system to Opel customers, I suppose time will tell.

I have known the people at Vauxhall deny that models are coming out then they do appear.

The VX220 Turbo was a model that Vauxhall said would never come out, and it did, also the Astra Twin Top, I was at a meeting a few years back where we were told that a convertible Astra H would not arrive, and it did.

You have to bare in mnd that Vauxhall are in effect a subsidary of Opel and that Opel call tyhe shots of the majority of models.

When the new Astra VXR arrives we will know for sure, but I would like to see it with 4 wheel drive.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    would be great with 4x4 i hope it does seen as the insignia sri and vxr have it