Thread: gutless car

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

gutless car

Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why my car could be running pooish...
    its 1.8 sxi and when driving it seems real slow as if holding back, went to swaffham tonight and the whole drive was disappointing, weird part was it suddenly picked up power just when i was about to brake for a roundabout this only happened once there and back,

i know this car has more guts than this and hoping someone may have had similar problems. in fact i used to get a buzz out of driving it, but not anymore.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    first thing you should do mate is remove the intake pipe that goes to the airbox from the throttlebody carefully remove the throttlebody theres a gasket under it so try not to damage that 4x 10mm nuts carefully remove it and undo any pipes or wires and give that a good clean its a commen thing if its all black and oily inside you will be shocked how differnt your car will drive my coupe was like that i had a 1.8 sxi a while back with a few mods i bought the coupe and was shocked how much slower it was and how dead the throttle responce was you had to lead foot it everywhere almost that was a x18xe1 and this is a z18xe same engine almost but with a little more bhp from factory and fly by throttle etc . i gave the throttlebody a good clean and it worked a treat made a massive differance and cost nothing will only take about half hour to do think theres a how 2 guide on here that may help

cheers mark

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Either that or the EGR valve is faulty, causes that exact type of issue with power holding back but sometimes coming back etc.

Can be fixed with a clean at times, otherwise a replacement is needed, easy job either way, there's a HowTo in the Technical Guides section.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Either that or the EGR valve is faulty, causes that exact type of issue with power holding back but sometimes coming back etc.

Can be fixed with a clean at times, otherwise a replacement is needed, easy job either way, there's a HowTo in the Technical Guides section.
    Hi
    this car hasn't got an EGR valve, i think the last time we had issues somebod where i worked said to try that, and there's not one on the car!!

its had a new AFM recently and seemed to gain some of its sluggishness after that, (part from vaux not pattern part) so will defo try cleaning the throttle body.
    thanks for replies

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What engine is it? If it's a Z18XE then it has one as far as I am aware.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no EGR on Z18XE

Have u removed and cleaned the TB? Piece of piss to remove and clean

I find petrol is best to clean it with - sooo much easier than carb cleaner - and cheaper

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pfft...why on earth did Vauxhall put one on the 1.6 and not the 1.8 then...

Fair enough...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    have now cleaned TB also found a small pin hole that goes through to a metal pipe was blocked so that got a clean too, now running like a dream again, thanks

p.s. what is that pin hole bit called that was so clogged with cr@p??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad you sorted it mate makes a big diff giving the throttle body a good clean dont it should feel a lot more responsive now that pipe sounds like a breather of some sort if it was gunked up cant of been a good thing eather way least its clean now though