Thread: Some good and some very bad news

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some good and some very bad news

So my cars not been right for a few weeks now so i took it to the garage today for a mot and a checkup ,so it passes mot not a problem but they also reckon i need to find a new engine as mines nearly f****d something to do with a bearing near the timing chain or something which mens im apparently gonna burn so much oil,anyone have any experience of this or some advice what i can do apart from get p****d now, its a 2.2 coupe with 68k on the clock on a 02 plate.Gutted

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First of all, always try and get a second opinion...

Second, beware of some garages 'finding' problems to try and get work, especially in this recession ...

Thirdly, and most important, dont panic, but check your oil regularly to see if it's true.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well picked the car up from garage yesterday and drove the 20 miles home temperature was up to 90 at some points which is higher than usual but seems to drive fine still,tickover is lower than usual and its hunting a little so i thought maybe the egr valve is dirty or something similar any suggestions please guys

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with Coo ey - the garage are taking the michael. 68k is sod all.

Passing the mot means emissions are OK - which tells me in fact that oil is not being burnt. As suggested just normal checks on oil - don't panic, don't go back to that garage - again.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to keep on about this one guys but just a little update,so its been a week since getting my car back from the garage that doomed it(top thread) and im not losing any oil so maybe they were wrong but the car is still not right revs are low and drive is a bit jerky and temps higher than normal any ideas before i book into different garage for a second opinion monday.thanks for your time

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knightqueens View Post
    the car is still not right revs are low and drive is a bit jerky and temps higher than normal any ideas
    Well when is the last it had a service? Spark plugs could be for the jerky ride and maybe the airfilter needs doing. There are so many factors, possible airleak or fuel related. Water temp could be down to a faulty thermostat, cost around £6 or your radiator needs a clean up or your fans are not working as there should. That your car is not using oil or burning it away is a good sign and with your milage should be fine anyway, that engine can go well past the 100.000 without any major problem.
    Would consider to go to a different garage and just get a major service done. You get them now for around £100. Mention the jerky ride and your temp slightly higher sometimes but do not mention what the other garage said or they might smell money here and try it on. Head up and keep smiling