Thread: Coolant problem. Please help.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Coolant problem. Please help.

Hie guys. i have a mk4 8v astra and a few weeks ago i unknowingly overfilled my coolant, its almost completly full, just above that mark which says kald/cold. now will this affect the car in anyway? and whats the required level?

thanks for looking.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes it will effect the expansion tank!!! when your car gets hot you will find the coolant pressure will build up as there is no space for the coolant to move whilst trying to cool your engine. This back pressure could lead to split hoses or a ruptured tank.... My advice would be to drain out some of the coolant to the advised level...the marker on the coolant bottle / expansion tank is there for a reason Do this sooner rather than later!!!...
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ooh ok, thanks for the advice. ive just done that now. is there any chance that there is more water in the radiator which needs to come out? because i used a pipe to drain from the plastic tank to the required level, when i start the car there is a pipe still pumping water in to the plastic tank. is that normal?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm confused about this, as the recent new owner of a 2002 Mk4 Club with the 1.6, 8v engine. A few weeks ago the car had been left standing for a day or two (so the engine was obviously cold) and I noticed the coolant level was a good half inch or more below the "KALT" level. Thinking this was wrong, I topped it up to that level - cold engine, coolant at cold level, with the top half of the tank still empty for expansion, right?

Except, this weekend, and after the car had been standing for even longer if anything (and it was a colder day to boot) I noticed the level is now half an inch or so ABOVE the cold level. No visible change to the fluid - not full of oil or anything like that.

Surely the coolant only expands when it's warmer? So if anything the level should have been lower than the first time, since the engine is colder? Does this mean it needs draining, and if so, how? We've used the car a lot in the intervening weeks - and also had the cambelt done by a local garage - so I'm worried I've done some damage. It has sounded a bit noisier at higher revs recently but I put that down to the newer, tighter cambelt.

PS - to top up I used Halfords "pink" coolant, looked the same as what was in there already.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd be concerned if the return pipe wasnt pumping coolant back into the expansion tank. Yours is doing exactly what its meant to do. It means that the coolant is curculating round the engine correctly with no air locks. You dont need to do anything else now, except watch that it doesnt drop again.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxy_D View Post
    ooh ok, thanks for the advice. ive just done that now. is there any chance that there is more water in the radiator which needs to come out? because i used a pipe to drain from the plastic tank to the required level, when i start the car there is a pipe still pumping water in to the plastic tank. is that normal?
    Nope the engine and radiator should be full so you can't go wrong by just keeping it at the kalt level, just keep an eye on it for a short while to ensure any airlocks in the system have worked their way out...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    I'm confused about this, as the recent new owner of a 2002 Mk4 Club with the 1.6, 8v engine. A few weeks ago the car had been left standing for a day or two (so the engine was obviously cold) and I noticed the coolant level was a good half inch or more below the "KALT" level. Thinking this was wrong, I topped it up to that level - cold engine, coolant at cold level, with the top half of the tank still empty for expansion, right?

Except, this weekend, and after the car had been standing for even longer if anything (and it was a colder day to boot) I noticed the level is now half an inch or so ABOVE the cold level. No visible change to the fluid - not full of oil or anything like that.

Surely the coolant only expands when it's warmer? So if anything the level should have been lower than the first time, since the engine is colder? Does this mean it needs draining, and if so, how? We've used the car a lot in the intervening weeks - and also had the cambelt done by a local garage - so I'm worried I've done some damage. It has sounded a bit noisier at higher revs recently but I put that down to the newer, tighter cambelt.

PS - to top up I used Halfords "pink" coolant, looked the same as what was in there already.
    And for this one, the only way the level will go up on its own would be:

A: Oil finding its way into the system, just check the surface of the coolant in the expansion tank, any oil visible?

B: Airlock in the system, loosen the expansion tank cap so air can escape, run the engine up to temperature then squeeze the top hose on the radiator and the bottom hose, this will work any air locks out and you should subsequently see your coolant level drop once its all cooled down again.
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks - I'm pretty sure it's not oil, I guess it could be an airlock - is it possible this might have been introduced when the cambelt was done, or is it just something that happens?

Any thoughts on the slightly noisier engine at high revs - is that likely to be the new cam belt? I'm worrying that it's our water pump or something like that.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    Thanks - I'm pretty sure it's not oil, I guess it could be an airlock - is it possible this might have been introduced when the cambelt was done, or is it just something that happens?

Any thoughts on the slightly noisier engine at high revs - is that likely to be the new cam belt? I'm worrying that it's our water pump or something like that.
    To be honest I've never known one just happen, air can't get into the system unless there is a leak somewhere allowing exhaust gasses to enter, very unlikely though as you'd probably lose water too.

On some engines its adviseable to change the water pump when doing the belts, was this done? Otherwise I can't think how air would get in there. I'd just monitor it for a while and see how it goes...

With the noise its difficult to say, where does the noise come from and what does it sound like...?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The increasing noise could be a slight blow in the exhaust somewhere near the cat or manifold.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast