Thread: Problem with Claim (advice needed!!!)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Problem with Claim (advice needed!!!)

Hi there, i currently have a claim underway with the insurance company.

Long story short is, driving down the A7 heading south from Edinburgh to Birmingham,
    i got about 40 miles from home, and the bonnet flew open,
    smashing the windscreen, and badly damaging the bonnet,
    roof, and side panels.

Luckily no other vehicles were involved (as it was around 2:00 am)

I informed the insurance company at the time of the first call, that after the car was taken off the recovery truck, and left back at my house, when i switched the engine on, the Engine Management Light had come on, and the car had essensially went into "Limp Home Mode"

Now the car has been sat in the garage for about 2 and a half weeks now, and the insurance company are still undecided as to what is going to happen. all of the guys at the garage have said it should be a write off due to the roof damage.

Depending on who i've spoken to at the insurance company, i'm getting mixed responses as to wheather they will fix it.

The main problem i have is that they are now saying that the engine management light being on has nothing to do with the accident, so are refusing to repair the engine mechanically. obviously i am not prepared to pay an excess (which is already very high) for a car that is still undrivable!

Does anyone have any advice on this?????

Thanks in advance guys.

Chris
    Chris

2.0 Coupe Turbo
    (Now Dead........)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    think i'll have to agree with the insurance mate, cant see why that kind of accident would cause an engine fault? unless vauxhalls are like some of the fords and peugoets that have something like a cut off switch for the fuel pumps if they are involved in an impact, something along those lines?

if you are interested my friend who works for vauxhall, just stays along the road in gotrebridge can get hold of the pc thing to plug it in, not sure if he could come to you, he is pretty cheap though, i can forward you his number if you like. try find out whats wrong
    1.6 8 valve, 5 door, soon to be a 5 studded let with crusty arches

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate

I've already said to them that i agree that there should be no faults, but there most certianly is.....
    I'll give you a text later on though buddy
    Chris

2.0 Coupe Turbo
    (Now Dead........)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Which insurance company is it? At least we will then know to avoid them.

Surely the car must be reinstated to the condition it was in before the accident? You insure against damage - whether this is to the bodywork or mechanical. Note that wear and tear and breaking down is not damage - they are using this distinction as an excuse to avoid liability.

If you don't like their decision - you can approach the Financial Ombudsmen, take them to Court or just take it on the chin - and simply don't use them again. But if you decide on the latter option - submit a formal complaint for buggeration purposes.

I know I've said it before, but insurance companies will use all sorts of tricks to avoid liability and boost their profits.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think you need to pedal test the car to see what the fault code is causing the dash light then at least you will have an idea as to if it could be linked to your accident.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As it turns out, the two fault codes that have come up are for the AFM, and O2 sensor.

I suspect us / the recovery driver trying to close the bonnet has maybe f**ked the AFM???
    Either way thats all that seems to be mechanically wrong with it, so at least if they dont pay up for that, its not an expensive fix........

And its Bell insurance.
    But other than this, they have been very helpful, literally within an hour of calling them, the car had been picked up!!!
    Chris

2.0 Coupe Turbo
    (Now Dead........)