Thread: Not quite astra related....But

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not quite astra related....But

Ive acquired my dads old combo van (N reg) the speakers in the front are rubbish so i just wanted some cheap ones to improve the sound. Im not after anything fancy or dear.

Ive found some bosch 300w ones on ebay new for £20 incl delivery. My question is can i just parallel off the standard door speakers and stick these behind the seats (using the magnetic back to stick to the bulkhead)

So i would just cut the cables to the door speakers solder the new ones in parallel and run the cable out. Will this affect the stereo or sound quality?

I have no experience with this
    Regal Phase 1 + Intercooler
    270BHP 300ftlb And Nothing Else, All standard

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    For starters just mounting the speakers with the magnets will sound crap. They need to be secured properally so make up a board for them to sit on.

You can't just hook up to the front speaker wires either as this will alter the resistance speakers and could overload the amp. IMO look into getting a 4 speaker headunit if you want to go down this route
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    However if i do wire the speakers in parallel with the fronts, and i match the resistances of the speakers, will half the overall circuit resistance as they are in parallel and not series thus not everloading the amp. Taking them to be 4 ohms, the equivalent resistance would be 2 ohms. However, maximum power transfer happens when the input impeadance/resistance matches the output impeadance/resistance, and by paralleling them up, ive halved the output resistance and so changed this balance which will affect sound quality. Hm, will ponder on this. (this is me thinking out loud through the medium of typing) lol
    Regal Phase 1 + Intercooler
    270BHP 300ftlb And Nothing Else, All standard