Thread: Whole Wingmirror Replacement??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Whole Wingmirror Replacement??

Hi new poster here! I own a mk5 sxi in black, and have just returned to it after the gym to find some w**ker has taken the casing off my passenger side mirror!

I was just wondering if anyone has or knows of anyway of replacing the case without having to go to my Vauxhall dealer and buy a whole new mirror (the glass and electrics are fine)

Thanks in advance!

LS

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    item number 200370833789 on ebay mate. It comes primed so takes away the ballache of having to sand it yourself. If you've done any painting before it should be a breeze. I'm sure you could find it a bit cheaper somewhere else, but you get the idea
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    scratch that, just realised you have astra h. try item 380147820990, although take notice thats left hand side. Actually pretty cheap that one!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewdevlin86 View Post
    scratch that, just realised you have astra h. try item 380147820990, although take notice thats left hand side. Actually pretty cheap that one!
    thats fantastic mate cheers. I have no idea about painting or anything, i'm not into modding and stuff, but i have a mate who is, so is it just a case of buying this wing mirror and painting it black?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if it's already primed, give it a wipe with white spirit using microfibre cloth (kitchen roll leaves bits of paper everywhere). When thats dried, give it a few LIGHT coats of your chosen colour, leaving to dry between coats until you're happy you've not missed any. Then leave a good while, until the paint is totally dry, paint cans say 24 hours but 6-8 at room temperature works for me. Then wipe with turps again, let dry, and give it several coats of clear lacquer. Don't overdo it, because if you get runs, you'll regret it! Light coats again, until the coverage suits you. Let air dry for at least 4-6 hours before handling or attempting to fit them, but be aware that the lacquer won't have reached it's final hardness for about 12 hours. Any question feel free to drop me a pm

kr00zin_uk
    I haven't checked the ebay links posted but most ebay mirrors and covers are not GM and therefore do not fit 100% correctly and are not of good quality, they seem to have similar dimensions but are often slightly out when fitted and leave a gap.

Speak to your local Vauxhall garage and get a GM part. The whole mirror assembly are separate parts (mirror glass, body colour casing, wing mirror arm etc.) so you don't have to spend lots of money if it's just the cover you want.

It should be only a few quid and come primed ready for painting. You can do it yourself, but I would the dealer to do this for a professional finish, or get some quotes from local body shops.

Failing that, you could always try your local scrap yard to see if they happen to have a mirror from the same vehicle that matches your colour in good condition.