Thread: Astra v6 Conversion.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra v6 Conversion.

I'm currently looking to convert my astra to a 3.0i 24v v6 Omega engine.

Any ideas on what other things I'd need to make this work?

(What other parts would I need apart from the bits I could take from the Omega?)

Also, would it be recommended to rebuild everything?

And one final thing, would the interior (leather) from the Omega fit into the mk4 Astra?

I would appreciate any help at all!

Not really that clued up on what I'd need. I can get an Omega for about £500, so it's saving quite a bit for rebuilding it, any ideas on cost of rebuilding?

Cheers guys!

Marty

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyParty View Post
    I would appreciate any help at all!
    Dont do it - simples.

More hassle than its worth, just to be different - its not like its even a powerful engine tbh.

Wheres MatG when you need him

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well...in the omega it does 0-60 in 7 secs, and a top speed of 142mph. And the astra is over 500kg lighter than the omega...not reckon it'll do damage? I do!

Would it take a lot of doing?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNikon View Post
    Dont do it - simples.

More hassle than its worth, just to be different - its not like its even a powerful engine tbh.

Wheres MatG when you need him
    Productive mood today then?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    If you want to do something different restore the Omega to its former glory. (God I love them cars).

Astra V6 isn't very good for servicing as theres a considerable lack of room. If you just wanted to something different then perhaps clean the engine bay. By this I mean keep your current engine and go as far as you can to remove any wires/hoses or hide them by moving the battery to the rear engine coolant expansion tank to the rear ect. Then get the engine chrome plated and respray the engine compartment to compliment your work.

Just my opinion of course.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyParty View Post
    Well...in the omega it does 0-60 in 7 secs, and a top speed of 142mph. And the astra is over 500kg lighter than the omega...not reckon it'll do damage? I do!

Would it take a lot of doing?
    7 seconds ??? aren't they all cacky 4 speed auto's though ??? Obv could swap the box to an F23 or the like but as standard i mean.

I'd avoid it, yes it takes alot of doing. Could send it to a well known tuner who would lighten your pocket of ALOT of money it still wouldn't work

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I looked into this while back and was told exactly the same as all the above posts such as no room to work on not that much more power etc.

I was also told that there would be a lot of work on the electrics side of things too. It sounded like far more hassle and expense than it was worth.

As a result I'm waiting for a suitable turbo engine to become available such as a Z20LEH from a VXR (no chance of finding this Iain lol) or similar. Far more power and a more workable idea.

However if you have access to an omega engine, heres how you could be REALLY different and incredibly fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iiphs5xMvU4
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just go for gsi turbo n get it remapped that alone it will be alot faster than the v6 engine in it.
    ITS BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    V6 aint is a decent conversion, but servicing ect is just a ****ing nightmare. And vauxhall didnt make the worlds greatest v6. Mint sound track, but the reliabilty of a v6+ the mare in just routine servicing would make it a no for me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNikon View Post
    7 seconds ??? aren't they all cacky 4 speed auto's though ??? Obv could swap the box to an F23 or the like but as standard i mean.

I'd avoid it, yes it takes alot of doing. Could send it to a well known tuner who would lighten your pocket of ALOT of money it still wouldn't work
    7 seconds to 60 ma arse. There are a few 'man versions' around with a manual gearbox but its no danger they are doing 0-60 in that time.

Yes they are a nice smooth engine, are they quick, are they **** (watch the vvoc boys will be starting a clan gathering now to beat me with their rythem stick for saying that). The V6 is the 2 fat slags of the performance engine world, its just a lazy big ******* although a reltively smooth ride. Even with lightened flywheels etc. your still only talking about 210bhp from a 3.0. Tuning is limited unless you want to open your own bank, declare your self as a poor investment then tap the government for more money.

There are far better engine options out there, it would be a bit like deciding to shag the ginger one from Girls aloud when you had the other 4 to choose from. Different is not always better.

The end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast