Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVDs Showing Black Lines On A Widescreen TV

kr00zin_uk

DVDs Showing Black Lines On A Widescreen TV

This would probably be a better question to ask on an AV forum, but most of you have probably experienced this and I am hoping that someone has found a cure...

On 16:9 DVD movies, when you play them back on a 4:3 TV, you get the black lines because of the difference in resolution and the fact that they have been produced for widescreen TV's.

I have a 16:9 widescreen TV and I still get the black lines at the top and bottom when playing 16:9 DVD movies.

The only way for me to remove the black lines on DVD movies is to use the zoom function on the TV and this obviously cuts more of the picture than I want, so I miss some of the action and it also seems to stretch the picture slightly.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is happening and how to solve it?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am using a PS2 to play my movies and it has the option to output 4:3, 16:9 or FULL and I have tried each one as a test and all continue to display the black lines at the top and bottom of the screen. Also I have tried several DVD's and they all have the same problem. However, when I watch one of the same movies over a freeview broadcast, the movies look perfect with no black lines and the TV is still set to 16:9.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Are the movies in 16:9 or 2.35:1? I sometimes get the black lines, which I am assuming is on 2.35:1 films.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't have much of an answer for you.

But it is possible it is your TV's fault rather than the DVD player.
    Old widescreen TV I use to have in living room always had black lines no matter what I did. Use to drive my Dad nuts as the TV before that was same size and it never displayed blacklines
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Many films are filmed in a different aspect ratio to 16:9, hence the black bars
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

kr00zin_uk
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Are the movies in 16:9 or 2.35:1? I sometimes get the black lines, which I am assuming is on 2.35:1 films.
    I am pretty sure it happens on both with 16:9 having lines of about an inch and a half top and bottom and 2.35:1 having slightly thicker lines.

It's really annoying as I can't see the DVD's at their full potential (size wise) and not only that, I can't have static images on my TV as it's a plasma and it can cause permanent damage if static images are left for too long.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is caused by the black lines "burning" onto your screen, this is really visible on pub tv's that play sky sportsnews all the time.
    From memory i think you have to play "snow", as in when you disconnect the aireal and the tv goes all fuzzy for a few hours. Not sure how this works on newer tv's tho as it sometimes just goes black and says no imput??

kr00zin_uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropaz99 View Post
    This is caused by the black lines "burning" onto your screen, this is really visible on pub tv's that play sky sportsnews all the time.
    From memory i think you have to play "snow", as in when you disconnect the aireal and the tv goes all fuzzy for a few hours. Not sure how this works on newer tv's tho as it sometimes just goes black and says no imput??
    Yep good old screen burn (the old CRT TV's used to suffer from it as well, especially at airports and train stations). I have to say though that the picture is far superior to any LCD TV I have ever watched so I don't mind the potential draw back.

Luckily I've never had screen burn as I'm aware of it and I'm really carefull about not leaving static images and channel logos on for too long.

New plasma TV's deal with it by have lots of different anti burn programs that you can run, like displaying an all white image, scrolling black to white image etc.

kr00zin_uk
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Man View Post
    Many films are filmed in a different aspect ratio to 16:9, hence the black bars
    But I also get the black bars on a 16:9 TV with a 16:9 DVD. Surely that shouldn't be right?

kr00zin_uk
    Quote Originally Posted by joemailey View Post
    Don't have much of an answer for you.

But it is possible it is your TV's fault rather than the DVD player.
    Old widescreen TV I use to have in living room always had black lines no matter what I did. Use to drive my Dad nuts as the TV before that was same size and it never displayed blacklines
    It could be the TV I suppose, but why would a manufacturer deliberately build a 16:9 TV to display black lines when 16:9 movies are displayed to it?

It's a fairly new 42" HD Samsung Plasma TV with all the bells and whistles, so it's not like it's some cheap and nasty TV from a budget manufacturer.

I use a scart lead to output the PS2 to the TV as that is the best output it has (no HDMI), however the picture quality is stunning, with vibrant colours, it's just the annoying black lines that I can't deal with...

kr00zin_uk
    I've just found this site which gives some good advice:

http://www.cnet.com/1990-7874_1-5140690-3.html

I suffer from undesired letterboxing explained at the bottom of the page and basically I don't think there is anything I can do, apart from what I have been doing (zooming in and missing some of the picture). The only difference is, I get the lines from widescreen movies, as well as ultra widescreen movie aspect ratios.

Ah well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast