Thread: ps2 power

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ps2 power

hi fitting a ps2 the large one got it all opened up to take power panel out left with four pins anyone know which ones i use to connect to car battery cheers

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did'nt thin you could just wire it up straight from battery...

I got a lead with a regulator to steady the voltage....from lee_gsi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As said just spend £30 and get a good power inverter
    You Might Be Able To Piss Over Me But I'm Not Going To Roll Over And Lick My Lips While You Do It

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no, I did't use an inverter, a proper wire inpower supply

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above, inverter is the most simple way, although not the best method, just the easiest.

Best method would be to build a DC to DC PSU, would be less prone to interferance and would be far more energy efficent etc. Games consoles don't always tend to like inverters either, some people will never have a problem, but be prepaired for issues such as crashing, interferance on screens etc etc.

I don't know just off hand the outputs of the older PS2s internal PSU's, but i'm pretty sure it won't be just as straight forward as 12v+ and ground.

Take the Xbox for example, depending on model version, you have either 3.3v standby or 5v standby, you'll have several grounds, various 5v+ rails aswell as 12v+, they tend to be very power hungry on the 5v rails aswell, so building a DC PSU to stand the current being drawn through it would take some doing.

More to the point, the power supply also has its own built in 'switch' so when you press the power button, on both PS2 and Xbox, it tells the PSU to turn 'ON' and same for turning it 'OFF' so then you need to know about building the switching system and then it gets complicated with Power on and Power OK signals.

So most deffinatly not just as simple as using the 4 pins and wiring to a battery.

Your best bet is just to buy a cheap 12v mains inverter and its as simple as plugging it up in the house.

EDIT: Coo, i assume you used a slimline PS2 rather than the older bigger 'fat' model?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nope, fat chicks rule !

lee_gsi sells cables.....

I think off hand that the old PS2 can handle a range of volts , but regulated is better for it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Coo, in that case, if your using the standard power socket on the back of the console, it must have an inverter in the cable? The reason being, the console would probably struggle to run on 200v or less.

More to the point, the car creates DC power, the PS2's onboard PSU runs on AC so as a result, you would need a DC to AC converter, and would have to create somewhere in the region of the UK spec voltage.

Unless your saying you have a custom built DC to DC PSU, where by you have to open your PS2 and physically swap the power supply units out by hand? I don't mean just cables, it would be a 'circuit board' you'd have to replace.

If you haven't swapped the internal power supply, you must have an inverter in-line somewhere.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problems with inverters get a cheap one and you will pay due to overload or thermal cutout, Coo is correct the device is Still DC,Granted it's powered off of 240/250 AC It's still broken down by the transformer and rectified into DC so having something to reduce the voltage going to the DC rail and it's job done, Inverter is easier but as you've already got it a part get what Coo is on about
    You Might Be Able To Piss Over Me But I'm Not Going To Roll Over And Lick My Lips While You Do It

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Coo, so it is indeed a replacement PSU I couldn't get my head around what you were saying at first lol.

Yeah so basically a DC to DC PSU, although it looks very basic, don't know what the contents of the box are thats in-line, but deffinatly a much better job than having an inverter.

Enigma, As you said, indeed the original PSU takes AC and converts to DC, so much much better to use DC rather than convert DC to AC to DC again. I'm not 100% keyed up on the PS2, Xbox is my thing and i can tell you straight away building a DC PSU for the Xbox is a complete and complicated nightmare. Although on face value it looks simple it really isn't.

However looks like the PS2 must be very simple in terms of its power input, i'm also assuming as its only got a 4 pin plug, it must not use a Power on, or Power OK signal, if it does then maybe it only runs on 12v DC. Actually if anyone knows what all 4 pins are i'd like to know just for the hell of it really.

I'd recommend anyone fitting a PS2 (Although Xbox is 100x better, especially if you know what your doing and run media center! ) to use the DC power cable and just remove the original power supply unit, its a superior job in my opinion VS inverter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast