Thread: Help for important decision! :) engine

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help for important decision! :) engine

Hi! I have a 2.0 ecotec in my astra and it really eats up the fuel. I can't get rid of the car, and I actually dont want to cos it's in super condition and better than any I have looked at even though it a 2000 model.
    I am thinking of putting a diesel engine into it because I will be doing allot of miles soon. Does anyone know if I could put a CDTi 150 engine and gearbox into the car, would this be a bad idea. I know someone who does conversions but I've not spoke to him yet,

My choices are as follows (astra f 1.6 engine) simply cos I like petrol, but is it good on fuel?) (The CDTi?), or the old DTi as you will already find them in mk4's
    Which do you guys reckon is the best idea?
    Thanks
    Gareth

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    by the time you have spent on the conversion(petrol to diesel needs alot changing), it would be better putting that money to another car. I have a 1.6 and that uses a fair amount of fuel, i only get 30ish mpg on average short runs and if you go from 2.0ltr to 1.6 you will get even less because you will need to trash it all the time to get any performance like the 2.0ltr. why not consider converting to LPG, if you like the car that much and want to keep it then LPG may be the way for you.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I take it you have the 2.0 Sri?? For some reason I think it's less econmical than the 2.2 as well as the 1.8.

However swapping over the engine seams a little extreme and Im sure the cost of the conversion would be more than the value of the car!! I think the 2.0 is meant to average about 34 MPG, the 1.8 38 MPG and the 2.2 35 MPG. The 1.6 is meant to average 40.5 MPG I think. And I think the 1.9 150 diesel averages about 50 MPG. These are just the 'quoted' figures given by Vauxhall etc I think.

If you need a more economical car I'd prob just say sell yours (getting a good price if mint) and get something else. If youreally love the care and can't bare to see it go then keep it but I can't imagine it being worth doing on a 2000.

Engine conversions are difficult and complicated and cause problems at the best of times, let alone from a petrol to diesel. I don't know what other bits you may need to change as well, and the complexities of transfering from a petrol to diesel could be quite a lot.

Just my opinion mind as dont know all the ins/out/costs etc etc.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    diesel conversion requires :- engine, gearbox, wiring looms, fuel lines, diesel tank, fuel pump, new immo, new keys to match the immo, and some other things, but it can be done, i know a lad that owns a 1.7 diesel calibra!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegman View Post
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys. Well you see I have a Z20LET conversion that I was about to put into it, so I thought sell that and get a diesel engine instead. Well that is the idea, but I know it would be easier to put the Z20LET in. However my circumstances have changed you see.
    I will phone the guy who was going to do the original conversion and ask if he can do it for me instead.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    it'll be more hassle than it's worth trying to convert to diesel, plus the mk4 diesel engines are poo anyway.

the mk5 1.9 CDTi conversion would be better, but far far more complicated and costly as it's not been done by many (if anyone at all come to think of it).
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, so does anyone know if the 2.2 dti engine would go in then? I do mean without having to change all the wiring in the car though.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    the 2.2 DTI will not fit in a right hand drive mk4. something to do with the steering coloumn IIRC< but if you search it's been covered before. It's why they never fitted it from the factory, even though the vectra got it...
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    alrite pal, anychance you can clear your inbox so i can email you about the stuff ive bought tone
    G t c

soon!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    the 2.2 DTI will not fit in a right hand drive mk4. something to do with the steering coloumn IIRC< but if you search it's been covered before. It's why they never fitted it from the factory, even though the vectra got it...
    Thanks mate. Oh well what can you do. Looks like I'll be going for the diesel. Sadly I'll be selling a Z20LET to pay for it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast