Thread: Z16XE mods vs long term reliablity/engine wear

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Z16XE mods vs long term reliablity/engine wear

I'm beginning to plan for a future engine replacement for my Z16XE/YNG (factory converted LPG). It's done me proud for 146k now and is losing minimal oil between the 20k changes, dropping only a mark or two on the dipstick which is nothing really, but at some point it is going to be in need of a rebuild or replacement.

I know I could just change the car, bigger engine etc, but I doubt finances are going to allow for that for a good few years, so unless I change jobs to work closer to home, I'm still going to have a good 20k+ per annum worth of driving to do - that and I've put a fair bit of effort (and money given I bought the car new) into the car as it stands, and it'd be good to get some more use from it.

I'm aware of plenty of mods for this engine (and most other NA engines), but I still have a few doubts on how well the engine can handle these mods long term. I think I'm fairly right in saying that sticking to 'external' engine mods should keep things safe - inlet/exhaust manifold mods being the main ones I know of. Match these with a suitable remap and I reckon 140bhp is more than feasible given where I am now.

Personally I'd rather look to improve mid-range bhp/torque over top end bhp - inlet/exhaust mods should be of benefit here, I already have ~130ftlbs torque with only catback and the usual airbox mods so sorting the exhaust manifold and cat might well help things further, possibly gaining some from inlet manifold improvements too (assuming a remap is done)?

The last thing I'm curious on is camshafts - SBDev suggest that simply sticking in a fast road cam is going to do nothing but increase tappet/lifter wear to the point of failure, and due to OEM piston design you can't go too hairy without changing the pistons. If I was to stick to some uprated cams with a marginal lift change and purely look to increase the valve opening duration to improve flow (more exhaust gas getting out, more new air getting in), is this likely to increase wear to a point where I'd be better off also uprating the tappets/lifters too for long term reliability? Many companies (Piper/Kent for example) offer a full cam kit which has all of these bits and more so I assume these would be a good option?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am with you on improving mid range more than top end.

Have you thought about getting a secondhand engine to leave in your shed etc. Then with this engine you could slowly over time strip it down to see how stuff works inside it. Plus you could uprate most things slowly over time. Then when you have uprated all the things you want to you will have a almost new engine which you could just drop into your car.

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I always thought that VX cam profiles were fairly racy anyways, they certainly were on the older engines.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I did wonder on a spare engine but my shed would struggle to house it...

The lift and duration on 3rd party cams is obviously 'bigger', but I wonder if you could stick with the same lift but increase duration for the inlet and exhaust to get a bit more gas flowing? That way the wear on tappets etc should be negligible?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    best way to get improvements with reliability(which is what you want) is to port/enlarge and polish the head, fit a better inlet manifold (dbilas for example) and a four branch manifold. Bill Blydenstein was a very respected tuner and found these to be excellent mods on Vauxhalls yielding up to 25% improvements on various applications. The standard vauxhall cams are also very well profiled and changing these alone would give poor return for the money unless your existing cams and valvetrain were shot

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd be tempted to stick with a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold as these are said to give better low down improvements vs a 4-1 design. Add in a correctly designed sports cat and that would be my preference.

I am tempted to steer clear of cam-related changes - the DBilas inlet manifold is probably the best choice but it depends how well it could be drilled to accept the LPG injectors which are fixed to my OEM manifold. It would be an expensive trial, and if not possible then a custom power box as per the MigWeb forums might be the easiest option.

I also need to consider if the LPG side of things could cope with more horses - it struggles top end already (hence 117bhp on petrol, 108bhp on LPG) but that might just be down to some very very old filters.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Bare in mind bud you'd need to extend your lamba looms aswell, one to go before the cat and another after the cat
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    At a guess that should be easy enough?

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    At a guess that should be easy enough?
    Easy if you are good with crimpers and snips

About... 8 wires in total, 4 for each sensor
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not a big concern then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast