Thread: Replacing grill on Mk5

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replacing grill on Mk5

I just got a new grill for my Mk5 but Im not sure how to remove the original. Do the fasteners just pop out or are they threaded? Dont want to end up breaking anything if I try to force it Cheers for any replies, Robbie

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieG View Post
    I just got a new grill for my Mk5 but Im not sure how to remove the original. Do the fasteners just pop out or are they threaded? Dont want to end up breaking anything if I try to force it Cheers for any replies, Robbie
    There should be locating screws at the top which un screw, then the clips at the bottom just pull up and out, it is quite tricky and they snap easily so becareful, its better if someone can help you. Jx

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynos XP View Post
    There should be locating screws at the top which un screw, then the clips at the bottom just pull up and out, it is quite tricky and they snap easily so becareful, its better if someone can help you. Jx
    Think that might be for the Mk4! managed to work out (eventually) that it was fixed with plastic rivets so got it changed ok. However, when I took off the original i found out it had left a visible imprint on the bumper(the paint was chipped in the outline of the chrome v). Has anyone had this happen before?? spent all day trying to touch and blend it but its still noticeable up close any ideas? cheers, robbie

4STRA
    Think that might be for the Mk4! managed to work out (eventually) that it was fixed with plastic rivets so got it changed ok. However, when I took off the original i found out it had left a visible imprint on the bumper(the paint was chipped in the outline of the chrome v). Has anyone had this happen before?? spent all day trying to touch and blend it but its still noticeable up close any ideas? cheers, robbie
    hi
    can you tell me how you managed to remove the grill as im doing mine soon and a few tips would be great. you mentioned rivets? do they pull out? is it an easy job?
    cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    if u look at the rivet in the middle is a much smaller circle. push a small rod thru it (and the plastic rod in the rivet will fall out the bottom) - I used an allen key

I didnt bother putting the grill middle rivet rods back in, too much hassle as i was taking the grill off alot. Once u have them out the big part of it just pulls up (small plastic flat head screwdriver or trim removal tool will be surfice.

Yes its an easy job.

Robbie: mine has a dirt outline from where the grill is, quick clean and polish and its back to normal (but the grill covers up any chips)

4STRA
    brilliant, thanks for that just what i needed to know shouldnt take too long then ( for a novice)

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    na its nice and easy.

once uve removed the rivets tho there are 6 push clips that hold it into the top of the bumper.
    I found it easier to insert a smallish plastic flathead again (or trim removal) to push the clip back and release it from the bumper. When ur doing it gently hold the grill up to give it some tightness so the clip doesnt re-clip itself when your doing the next one along

Are you replacing the grill or colourcoding the chrome piece?

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How odd mine is an 07.5 model Sri and my grill is held in with screws at the top? Good old Vauxhall no consistency with fixings! Jx

4STRA
    im replacing the grill mines just a stsndard one and im replacing it with the chrome version like the one fitted to the elite, got it cheap off ebay £25 plus postage
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    oh ok fair enough.

out of interest what year is your astra? i thought it was pre face lift (if thats the case wont that grill not fit?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast