Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle body now off the car. Quickfire Q's before it goes back on...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Throttle body now off the car. Quickfire Q's before it goes back on...

1. The butterfly - is it supposed to sit dead level? As mine doesn't. It sits a bit higher at the back, so it's sort of tilted forward/down at a slight angle. Or tilted backwards....i can't remember which way now. Point is, it's not level, it tilts. This is just curiosity ..... for those from the temp guage thread I'm not worrying!!! lol.
    Attempt to show it with this pic:

2. I've cleaned the main part & the butterfly & the underside. Just need to polish it up to get rid of the staining, but should i be spraying any carb cleaner into any of those hoses?
    the one in the following pic especially, that is stamped up with writing, has brown shit inside it that seems to stink quite strongly of vinegar

Very small hole which has cack residue in there (which runs into the mini 90deg hose shown in the top left above pic):

Squirt inside or leave?

3. I take it the following pic is the inlet manifold?....

Now from what i've read, it's like, something of a hanging offence if you even get a microscopic hair in there. It looks caked up to chuff though. Is it best to just leave well alone or should i do something?

4. And also, me being me couldn't do this job without ballsing something up lol. Have taken the electrical connector off a couple times before. It's stiff bloody thing but got it off.

Not today

This has snapped off the actual connector

The middle bit of the grey holding clip is now partly split:

I'm guessing that it's not THAT bad, but...

Chances of me driving along & the car dying on me due to this are...........?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wouldnt be able to answer any of your questions but verry good post with clear pictures....i would imagine if the pipe are off the car like that though they will be ok/better to clean

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I was going to post back asking about that earth strap. I still will, but i think i've maybe caused a problem. I'm not too sure.

Went ahead with the clean & polish. Polish didn't get rid of the staining though, but i thought sod it & put everything back on. I wiped the rim of the inlet manifold out making sure not to drop any crud in there.

So that's the throttle body cleaned, and replaced.

I then took out the old AFM & installed the new one.

Started the car up.

The Problem:

Sounded like it's on its last legs, but i'd read about this. Thinking surely it'll sort itself out.

Died to around 800 revs (whatever the 'norm' is anyway). The car sounded like it was a bloody boat!! So i took a video:

Took it for a drive (which was 4.5 mile in total) after the car had been sat idling for 5-10mins.
    Must say, it is without doubt, more responsive than before that's for sure.

Thinking & hoping that'd blown all the crap out of it & given it time to settle i parked up....

...chug chug chug chug, yep, i was driving a boat again.

This may be normal for other peoples cars, but mine wasn't doing this before today. After the revs would settle, the car would just sit there quietly.
    I'm thinking the revs bouncing around a bit isn't going to be too clever on the juice either & whatever other negative effects it may have.

So am hoping someone can shed light onto why it's doing this.
    Have i caused more bother?
    Is it because the car is getting used to the changes etc (i d/c the battery btw)? Surely 5-10mins idle with 4.5mile drive would've been enough IMO, but perhaps some of you in the know can tell me otherwise??

As for the strap thing, would this need renewing as it looks a bit poor:

That isn't majorly important, but this weird idling to me is, so cheers for any input.

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The butterfly is supposed to be like that even when it is shut it will still be about 4 degree's from square in the bore. It will be ok to clean the pipes out. You can also clean inside the inlet manifold with carb cleaner if you wanted to. You can use a cable tie to hold the clip back in place and it will be fine. Jx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynos XP View Post
    The butterfly is supposed to be like that even when it is shut it will still be about 4 degree's from square in the bore. It will be ok to clean the pipes out. You can also clean inside the inlet manifold with carb cleaner if you wanted to. You can use a cable tie to hold the clip back in place and it will be fine. Jx
    Cheers J, but i 'bit the bullet' & just went ahead with it. Figure i'm always asking a bit too much so just went ahead with it after a while.

Wasn't so bad after all

It's just this strange idling that concerns me now as it wasn't there beforehand. Very lumpy & boat-like now instead of the very smooth & quiet that it was before this job.

Hoping you'll tell me it'll sort itself right after a bit more driving & this is normal...
    ...but i'm ever the pessimist

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Take it off again and check that you have no air leaks from any of the mating faces/gaskets etc. Also push the butterfly open by varying amounts and ensure that it closes again in a smooth progressive manner.

The earth strap does look a bit ropey but still looks serviceable, just take it off and clean of any corrosion from the bottom of the fixing nuts and the face where it actualy connects to.

I take it that this is the OE TB?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by montyfox View Post
    Take it off again and check that you have no air leaks from any of the mating faces/gaskets etc. Also push the butterfly open by varying amounts and ensure that it closes again in a smooth progressive manner.

The earth strap does look a bit ropey but still looks serviceable, just take it off and clean of any corrosion from the bottom of the fixing nuts and the face where it actualy connects to.

I take it that this is the OE TB?
    So this is symptematic of an air leak is it?

Will give all that a try. No idea when the mother can next get down to Vaux. Due to work, i can't.

Aye it's the original TB. AFAIK anyway. The only TRUE change has been a new AFM. strap is the same as yesterday, TB is the same as yesterday (albeit cleaner), just the AFM which is new.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just check for air leaks anywhere. This would give you a prob like this

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Problem solved, it seems (i hope).

Changed the AFM as that's the only thing that's TOTALLY different. Started it up, chug chug chug.

Went to the engine bay & i hear some weird noise. Like suction. Have a gander about & EVENTUALLY find the problem:

somehow that pipe on the airbox side came out. Must've pulled it out accidentally.

Stuck my finger on the pipe & it was suckin like a good 'un. Connected it back up & it's idling nice & quiet.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There you go air leak in the system.

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast