Thread: Error code saga continues

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Error code saga continues

Now getting codes 0200 (injector circuit malfunction) and 0170 (mixture too lean/rich).

The symptoms are :

Car always starts without eml - when reving over 3k or putting engine under load (ie. going up a hill) the eml comes on.

Reving car at 3k for say 10 seconds - whilst stationary - the eml comes on whether I'm running on lpg or petrol. At 3k on lpg the engine revs smoothly, on petrol is seems to rock as if one of the cylinders is not working as the others.

The only thing that has changed is that I fitted a new thermostat and the engine is for the first time running at normal operating temperature.

Friend suggested that the fuel pump may be on the way out - anyone with any other ideas to try first as the pumps look expensive. I've discounted the injector as the lpg ecu sends a dummy signal to the cars ecu - so if the injector was totally shot, the engine would still run.

Any ideas appreciated.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Alway And I Mean Always When You Get The 0170 Code Change Your Air Flow Meter Its A Great Place To Start And 8 Times Out Of 10 It Cures Fueling Faults I Had This Code With About 2 Unlinked Codes A Few Days Ago Changed The Airflow Meter And They All Went It Amazed Me How A Little Plastic Tube With A Bit Of Wire Init Can Send The Way Your Car Runs To Pot!!!!
    Give It A Go And See How You Get On If It Dont Work At Least You Have A Spare!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ta for the reply.

Not sure if my car has an air flow thingummy. I've looked in the Haynes and it doesn't mention anything like this. It's an X16SZR.

I'll end up taking the clocks apart and putting a bit of black tape over the eml - in desparation.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'm sure the haynes didn't mention an AFM for me either when i was looking.

Located on the piping running from the back of the airbox to the TB on mine. Plug plugging into some square piece of plastic is what i was looking for, 2 jubilee clips either side.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A bit more digging around and it looks like my car has a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor and not a mass air flow sensor.

When I got home tonight - on petrol - the car engine 'ran on' - I've had this before on an old Morris Marina - in that case it was the timing advancing when it shouldn't of.

Google tells me the MAP instructs the ecu to change the fuel/air mix - ie when under load - which is when the eml comes on.

Might be another wild goose chase?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just ordered one of the sensors - I'll fit it this weekend and let everyone know if it works.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

After Looking Properly At Your Engine Type Yes Your Right There Is No Afm Silly Me But There Is A Sensor But You Already Know That!
    Now If You Fit The Sensor And It Dont Work Try Cleaning The Egr Valve That Can Cause Alot Of Probs Too (if Your Car Has One) Im Sure It Will I Know My Car Has Not Got One.

If you have already cleaned it and your tb then disregard this message as im just waffling

Hope you sort if matey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To be fair there aren't that many of the 'older' design engines around, most do have this air flow meter sensor. You also took the time to respond, which is appreciated.

I blanked off the egr a couple of months ago - so this shouldn't be causing any problems.

I'll probably fit the maf sensor and it won't make any difference, but at least I can then count this out.

I'm assuming that the error code (injector circuit malfunction) is simply a result of the maf making the mixture too lean/rich. Bit of lateral thinking.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    New MAP sensor = no piggin difference

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Been out to work today. Going to work eml came on for 2 mins then went off and stayed off. Driving back home - it did not come on.

All I've done since fitting the map sensor is WD40 the coolant temperature sensor ready for changing this weekend.