Thread: Linux / xp question

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Linux / xp question

I have a laptop thats a bit fubar'd. It keeps giving the blue screen every so often and I can't find out whats causing it. It was an ex company laptop, so it has a genuine XP professional 1-2cpu sticker on the bottom with licence code, but I don't have a disc for it (Do have a XP home disc from my own computer though).

Question is, do I
    A) get a XP professional disc 2nd hand from somewhere
    B) Install Linux on it, seeing as its free. Never used it before but laptop is only really used by the GF for websurfing as I have my PC, though I do have a code reader for my car that works with software on the laptop.
    C) Will the professional licence code work with XP home, i'm guessing no, but you never know.
    D) Download a copy of XP professional and then use my legal licence code. Will the laptop see this as being a genuine copy, or will it cause me problems. I don't want to start messing around trying to validate an illegal version.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Pm sent
    Honda Civic Type R

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Install Ubuntu on it Dave. Linux is easy to use and uses less memory so runs quicker.

will be installing it on mine soon.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Is there any hardware issues with the likes of Ubunta? Will built in WIFI etc all work as it should?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Blue screen of death usually means hardware issues, but if you want to rule out the operating system you can get a hold of an XP Pro disk pop it in the drive and do this

Start > Run or Windows key +R
    type cmd
    Type in sfc /scannow

Only run that with the disc in because its a pain in the ass if you dont.

This checks all the 'needed' files for XP to run and if they are corrupt replaces then from the disc. If you need a disk i can post one to you.

Ex company computers tend to get bashed about a bit, i work in IT in a school and having over 800 computers to look after i know how much bashing i do to them lol So it could be that a particular piece of hardware has been damaged.

BSOD can also come if a driver hasn't been installed right or something like that. I dont know what your confidence with PC's are but most of the time an updated driver solves the issue
    IT Services for Glasgow, UK
    This is only here for google webmaster tools purposes.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulst30 View Post
    BSOD can also come if a driver hasn't been installed right or something like that. I dont know what your confidence with PC's are but most of the time an updated driver solves the issue
    When I looked at the code it showed it as a software issue. But there is hardly anything installed on there TBH, Firefox, MSN, IPF + standard windows crap.

Deleted and reinstalled all of the above and made no difference. Problem is it just happens randomly when browsing the web, its not like it happens everytime you open xxxx program.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hardware abstraction layer and support in linux is now BETTER than Windows - it's just that a lot of manufacturers still don't provide native linux drivers.

Stick Ubuntu on it - you wont have any problems with drivers. You can double check by booting the laptop using the Live CD. If everything works as it should then you're good to go. Unless your laptop is some weird brand with crap hardware/chipset you'll be fine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I meant to add that you dont need to keep re-installing windows to use different license keys. You can use a program called Magic jelly bean key finder. However there is a certain version that changes the key, as below

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/old.shtml

The only one that changes the XP Key is version 1.41

I mentioned this purely to take away the fear of the license keys everyone seems to have. If your key is fake your desktop goes black and you get told about it a lot from windows genuine advantage prompts. Use that program, stick the legit key in and its all sweetness and light without the hassle of a reinstall.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh the BSOD you're talking about is most likely caused by issues with your HDD but I won't go into it because you're going to install Ubuntu

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    When I looked at the code it showed it as a software issue. But there is hardly anything installed on there TBH, Firefox, MSN, IPF + standard windows crap.

Deleted and reinstalled all of the above and made no difference. Problem is it just happens randomly when browsing the web, its not like it happens everytime you open xxxx program.
    I sold a laptop to a friend who had BSOD and she found out it was a firefox plugin that was causing it. Everything was fine after she disabled it. She wouldnt tell me what one it was though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast