Thread: Think i'm a member of the kangaroo-car-club

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Think i'm a member of the kangaroo-car-club

Posted about this problem in the past, but only today did it feel kangaroo'ey,. which made me think of the many kangaroo threads.

Unfortunately, i read a lot of 'clean EGR' replies, whereas i'm sure i've been told the Z18XE doesn't have these?
    The TB is pretty clean also (cleaned on the car, so not 100% clean).

It's pretty dangerous at times & nobody seems to have the answer. I'm considering getting it in to Vaux, but am reluctant for obvious (cost) reasons.

The Problem:

Often, i will start the car after it's been sat a while (1st thing in the morning, or coming home from work when it's been sat for 10hrs), and as i go to pull on to the road, it'll hesitate, almost stop, like the accelerator pedal is doing nothing & then it'll get going again. Once i get up through the gears the problem goes (e.g. if i was to get up to 3rd/4th @ 30/40 & then stop the car & set off again, there'd be no problem).

Today after work, i went to pull into the yard & was in 1st. The car was rolling, but a bit sluggish-like. Then it just slowed right down, like the power had been killed & then got moving again & was ok

Has done this (in a bad way) once or twice now & when it does it as i'm pulling on to the road, it's pretty dangerous.

What should i be looking at as likely causes? Sound familiar to anyone on here? As it's really doing my nut. It's not just an annoying problem, it's a potentially dangerous problem.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I feel your pain. I went through similar issues, tried all sorts of things and followed a lot of advice but in the end bit the bullet and took it to vauxhall who found out it to be a problem I would never have thought of - a hole in the inlet manifold gasket.

I would suggest trying the following 1 at a time to see if it makes a difference:

Clean Throttle body
    Clean EGR
    Blank EGR (if makes a difference keep blanked or replace EGR)
    Clean ICV
    Replace spark plugs
    Replace Leads
    Replace Coil pack
    Replace ICV
    Unplug oxygen sensor see if it runs better without it, if so then replace.
    Clean earths as this as been known to cause problems

If you get as frustrated as me then a trip to vauxhall (although expensive) solved it before I took a hammer to it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    You had similar 'symptoms' to me then?

I dunno, i'm really quite tempted, as there's also a few fault codes stored in there that keep coming back. P0170 is the favourite. Some people have good experiences at the main dealers, others have horrendous ones. Tried to find a write up on the one closest to me (Morecambe) but found nothing.

My just take the plunge.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I had a really bad idle, Kangarooing especially in 2nd and generally running crap and hesitating a lot. Never had EML come on couldn't get the paper clip test to work to see if there was any codes stored.

So I was pretty much tearing what is left of my hair out so just took it to vauxhall. Expensive but so happy it's sorted. See my thread "my trip to vauxhall...car fixed".

Would defo give the things I listed above a go first as you may have more luck than I did and could fix your problem for next to nothing.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My astra did it, never found the cause just had to keep the revs rising gently to prevent the kangeroo.
    Kind Regards,

Dean

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh also it's worth checking oil filler cap and breather pipes to make sure there is no white/yellow stuff clogging it up, this could also cause bad running and kangarooing.

Used to have a fiesta where this was a known problem, gave that a clean every few months and it ran like a dream.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    See that's the thing, it doesn't idle poorly at all. Start it up 1st off & it's around 1.2k revs, and everything is smooth. Settles down nicely if i leave it.

On the topic of leaving it - if i leave it to settle (so at around 0.8k revs say), and THEN go to set off, there's NO problem whatsoever.

It's mainly that first get up a bit of speed where you change from 1st to 2nd where the problem is. 2nd to 3rd isn't really much of an issue. Maybe every so often there's a bit of lag, but nothing major. It's 1st>2nd which is the nuisance.

As for the oil, i changed the oil around a month ago, filter also. I had this issue before & after that.

Bought it in Sept 08 but the problem didn't appear until March/April 09. I was told it could be the warmer weather. I can see it making a difference, but not to a dangerous level.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    check this out click

a load of them point to the AFM. fairly cheap and very easy to fix.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hmm interesting. Though, is that related to this kangarroing upon 1st startup? Would be handy if it was lol, but i'm guessing not?? I dunno.

How much is a new AFM? I'm assuming it's some piddly sensor. Where abouts is it located? Any fiddling & faffing to change it?