Thread: Oil in Boost pipe, plus massive coolant loss ?!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oil in Boost pipe, plus massive coolant loss ?!

Hi all -

My '02 Astra turbo coupe (completely standard) is using an expansion bottle's worth of coolant a day, and loads of oil. Have checked the filler cap etc for mayo - none found, so I am not suspecting the head gasket.

It is also running VERY lumpy on acceleration, often leading to the emissions warning light coming on... and, once in this state, it will not boost beyond 0.5 bar.

it went to a garage a while ago to have the rocker cover gasket replaced, and also a new coolant expansion bottle fitted as the little metal-lined plastic pipe on the other one, on the turbo coolant feed, had sheared off. The problems started a few weeks after that work.

There are no visible water leaks, although there is (STILL) quite a bad oil leak from the rocker cover gasket, but not that bad. Removing the coolant expansion bottle cap, reveals a distinctly 'petrolly' smell, and there are black smutty deposits sticking to the inside of the bottle at the water line.

It smoked (dark grey, not really blue) very briefly the other day, and I just had a mate follow me and he reported a few puffs here and there... and sure enough, I pulled off the Boost hose and it is wet with oil inside... so it looks to me like a turbo issue.

I'm afraid I have not had this car long and don't know a whole lot about the kkk turbo. Could there be an internal seal failure in the turbo, or perhaps a gasket, letting oil and potentially also coolant into the airflow ?

Could the turbo being starved of coolant when the expansion bottle issue occurred, have caused the kind of damage that would lead to this ? It was a good 8 weeks ago - would it not have failed sooner ?

As a final note, the garage told me a tale of woe, about some collapsed breather pipes they found whilst replacing the rocker cover gasket, and which they replaced... one thing that sticks in my mind was that they said 'one pipe was sealed with a screw', although I don't know which one it was... but suggests some mod done by the previous owner...? I seem to recall they also found some issue with the PCV.

Any views would really be appreciated, as this is driving me nuts - if I top up the oil and water, after 60 miles of driving I have both 'engine oil' and 'Coolant' warning lights. I am also starting to worry about the cat. I think I have diagnosed an oil leak thru the turbo - but not clear if I am looking at a turbo rebuild, or just a gasket.... and really don't understand the water loss. I also really don't understand the lack of blue or white smoke. In the back of my mind, it is niggling me that the garage may also have done something to cause this, but I can't quite work out what .

Cheers to all

Thanks - Chris

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get a Compression test done that will tell you if the head gasket is gone from the sound of it,more than likely it has, check the passengers side rad for cracks on the arm of the rad,yep as said could be the turbo as well. The oil could be rocker head cover gasket ie your cover could be warped and letting the gasket leak. The Car needs to go to a garage as it's really poorly mate,