Thread: Servicing - Spark Plugs

kr00zin_uk

Servicing - Spark Plugs

I have now almost completed a full service on my 1.6 16v Mk4 Astra Sxi, except for the spark plugs!

The problem is my kit came with GM single electrode plugs that I think needs gapping, I don't have a gapping tool and I don't particularly want one for a one off job.

In the Haynes manual it mentions both vauxhall single electrode spark plugs which need gapping and vauxhall multi electrode spark plugs which don't need gapping (looking at the picture it shows 3 electrodes on the multi electrode spark plug).

I am guessing that the multi electrode plugs are easier to install correctly for the beginner as they don't need gapping accurately and surely they should also more efficient as there will be more sparks.

So my questions are:

Do GM actually make multi electrode spark plugs for the MK4 Astra as the Haynes manual states? And if so, can I use them on my vehicle?

I really only want GM spark plugs as I like to keep things as standard as possible.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The correct plugs for your 1.6 are the GM09 plug which is a twin electrode plug - part number being 9195109

Retail price of £3.60+VAT each..... or Trade club of £2.10+VAT each

There is no need to gap these plugs or indeed any OE GM branded plug for the entire Astra G range.... bar the 2.2

Basically most of the range uses the Twin electrode GM09 plug,
    The 1.6 8v 2000+ Z16SE & the Z16XEP Twinport use the GM32 Quad Electrode, and the Z22SE 2.2 uses the Single Electrode GM33

So if u really insist on using standard GM plugs then fear not about gapping, as you dont need to.

Just pop em in and away u go.

So in summary, you have been given the wrong plugs in your kit - the single electrode ones were never specified for your model - only the 2.2 in the Astra G.

From memory, I never needed to gap GM plugs so u would more than likely be ok running the ones u have but judging by this thread i would imagine u dont want to.

HTH

kr00zin_uk
    Thanks mate that's really helpful info!

When you quote retail and trade club, where is that? The main dealers?

I will check what plugs I have when I go home, from memory they are GM single electrode Bosch spark plugs. I'm really happy about not having to gap the right spark plugs, that's made my day!

I brought them online as part of a kit, so I might contact the seller on ebay for an exhange, as they didn't send the right ones (was from a Vauxhall garage). If I don't have any luck then maybe my local Vauxhall dealer will do a swap, as by the sounds of it they are of no use to me.

Out of interest, how do you know what plugs go with what engine? Is there some kind of chart/guide?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know cos Ive got a trade club book with all the parts/prices in

the retail/trade prices is from Vauxhall - afterall its GM parts you want.

Only paid club members can get access to trade club im afraid

Personally though Id stop worrying and just pop em in - they'll be perfectly fine.

Try contacting the seller but Id imagine they may not honour the exchange

kr00zin_uk
    I've just checked my spark plugs and they are GM09!

However on the side of each box it states: "Before installation, adjust spark plug gap as per vehicle manufacturer's instructions"

So you do need to adjust the gap on these plugs then?

Can someone please talk me through how to do it and let me know what the correct gaps should be for my engine?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont gap em - just pop em straight in

ive already said that several times already in this thread but manufacturers always put BS like that on packaging to cover themselves.

if in doubt get a feeler gauge for a few quid - gap em - pop em in and than finally drive the damn thing

kr00zin_uk
    Thanks again for your help bud!

Just a final couple of questions I promise... Sorry, I like to make sure I know as much as possible before I attempt a job I haven't done before.

In the how to, it mentions needing to use a spark plug socket with a rubber grip. I don't think I have any sockets with rubber grips in my set, are they that important? If so, I will need to go and pick some up...

And finally the how to says not to cross thread the plugs, what is cross threading and what is the best way to not do it? Any tips from your experience?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nah rubber grip is not important, well i didn't use one when i was messing around with the plugs, don't worry about that, use any socket set you have. the main thing to make sure of is that if you are changing them all, you need to make sure that you write down the firing order, or only change one at a time, as in my experience that's the only place i went wrong, and there's nothing worse than a misfiring engine!

Rhys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    although not important i would always advise a specific plug socket as it makes life soooooo much easier

if not then a small length of pipe such as hosepipe should be just the right size to fit on the end of the plug and carefully lower the plug into the threads - i personally rotate it slowly anti clockwise until u feel the start of the threads then carefully - just by hand rotate it clockwise - this should turn freely and if it catches in anyway then its probably cross threaded.

do them all up hand tight and then just nip them ever so slightly with a wrench.

when u remove the old ones you will gauge how tight they need to be - providing they aint been fitted by a total muppet!

hand tight then just a final nip with a wrench

No need to worry about firing order as u have a coil pack so u cant really go wrong. Through habit though, I still do one at a time and write down which plug is which when i remove the old ones just in case

HTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    dont gap em - just pop em straight in

ive already said that several times already in this thread but manufacturers always put BS like that on packaging to cover themselves.

if in doubt get a feeler gauge for a few quid - gap em - pop em in and than finally drive the damn thing

I recently did this job and gapped them. In the Haynes manual it says the gap may affect the efficiency of the engine. Personally I like the peace of mind knowing I have done things by the book.

The tool only costs a couple of quid and you will use it again...eventually. If not on this car then on another.