Thread: (Most) Women and car maintenance

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

(Most) Women and car maintenance

Am I alone in thinking this? Why do most women, or at least all the ones I know, think that all they need to do to keep a car running is fill it with petrol once a week? My mums cars service light has been on for about 15k miles, her tyres squeal cornering at 20mph on dry roads, bald tyres, dirty as hell, the missus never checks the tyres, water or oil, and has the nerve to complain when I attend to these things! What gives? It's a real hate of mine! Why spend all this money on something just to neglect it and let it fall apart? I wouldn't mind as much but the car mum has is a 1999 Volvo S40, and it had about 25k on the clock when she got it 12 months ago. It had been my gran's car and had seldom been used, and was to all intents and purposes a new car. And she's letting it go to hell!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! WOMEN!

Discuss
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To be fair I bet there are the same amount of men that do the same. I work at a MOT test center and the amount of mens cars that are the same is surprising

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'm kind of with you on that..... People only fix the car when it fails the mot

if it passes then they won't bother servicing it. my mum's the same, Wanted to service my car (recently bought at the time) and it came with a years mot told her and she says "its got an mot don't need to service it" and her being chinese and my cantonese not being that great it was a hell of a job to try and explain why the mot doesn't always suffice when it comes to vehicle maintenance

The missus car has one tyre that has began cracking at the sidewalls and, for her safety, i wanted her to get it sorted, but i somehow ended up being the bad guy in that conversation So no i'm just going to leave it til it gets worse. as thats how they like to deal with these problems
    >>Diary<< Status: ...........Slow and Steady.... may update more often...
    Last Updated: 27/10/2014

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    My good lady does her own weekly checks and such on her cars and does a walk round most days. But on the Landrover's is prepared to help grease, change the oils and replace things like the road springs.

Top catch
    1.7 DTi Estate

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fix it when it breaks. Hmmmmm. Sounds familiar! No offence to any females on here that behave themselves, I don't like to stereotype, hence 'most' in the thread title! Just my experience

Our brakes started squeaking about 3months ago and it was only a fortnight ago at MOT time when it near as damnit failed that the missus admitted I was right. From a safety point of view it's atrocious

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewdevlin86 View Post

Our brakes started squeaking about 3months ago and it was only a fortnight ago at MOT time when it near as damnit failed that the missus admitted I was right. From a safety point of view it's atrocious

If you knew they was no good you should have sorted it for her.

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not worth the hassle mate. She had to have solid proof that they needed replacing. My opinion obviously isnt good enough!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRI-T Keithy View Post
    To be fair I bet there are the same amount of men that do the same. I work at a MOT test center and the amount of mens cars that are the same is surprising

Yeah thats very very true!! one of my mate is pretty much the same lmao! i say to him that this and that is about to fail and he says "meh! i'll fix it if it fails mot" really gets to me when people think like that

I mean i know i said somthing about the missus but at least she's got the common sense to fix things (takes her time but does it still) wether it'll fail the mot or not...... which is why i've not badgered her more about the bad tyre yet as i'm ......fairly certain she'll get it done before it becomes dangerouse.............
    >>Diary<< Status: ...........Slow and Steady.... may update more often...
    Last Updated: 27/10/2014

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LOL I can see where you are coming from there. But saying that if my ladys car needed work to make it safer on the road i WOULD have taken the car off her to fix. But then again she divorced me so maybe I was barking up the wrong tree lol

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast