Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My trip to Vauxhall....Car fixed!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Running crap and bad idle......Car fixed!

I've read about a lot of people having problems with their Astra's with them having a poor idle, running lumpy, kangarooing and even cutting out.

I have a MK4 2000 1.6 8v Astra X16SZR.

It started to get some of these symptons so at first like many I thought it was a missfire so changed the plugs and leads...that didn't change anything so thought hmmm might be the coil pack... Got a new one of those and nope that didn't work.. GAAAH

I had no engine management light come on and couldnt get the paper clip test to work.

So I done some internet searching and came across a few Vauxhall forums (including this one) that mentioned things like cleaning the throttle body, EGR and ICV...

So I checked Throttle body, Clean as a whistle, but sprayed loads of carb cleaner everywhere like a mad man anyway.... no change.

Ok lets take off this EGR thing... Looks alright not too dirty, blasted a lot of carb cleaner into it and scrubbed away with wire brush... re fitted. Nope no change...

Hmmm must be the ICV then? Took that out cleaned it no change... I have a small parts store near me so thought this little part must be cheap to replace may aswell get a new one....£20, fitted nope no change.

Ok so maybe cleaning EGR didnt work, maybe a new one would sort it... wait over 50 notes? hmmm bit expenisve.... tempted but no. What about blanking it? yeah i'll do that everyone says that works like a dream! Blanked it....NO CHANGE.

So in the end I bit the bullet and took it to Vauxhall and they found out the problem was........an air leak on the inlet manifold with a big hole in the gasket.

They fixed this for £234...... which basically involved just changing the gasket and putting new coolant in (Said it was quite labour intensive and to be fair I didnt fancy taking it all apart). But they also told me that one of my tyres was in a dire state and my balancing was off (I had noticed a bit of a steering wheel shake at 80mph) so they also done that for me. In total with diagnostics, labour and VAT they charged me £384....*GASP*

I prob could have got it cheaper elsewhere but I was so fed up and just wanted it fixed so let them do it. When I picked it up and drove away it was like driving a brand new car. So different, I forgot what it was like to drive a lovely Astra. Got too used to the shaking along the road and kangarooing in 2nd gear....

Will give it a good run over the weekend and see how it goes on the motorway before being completely happy of course

Hope that can help some others who are having similar problems. Another thing to add to the list perhaps.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Atleast you've got it sorted but as you said the price is a bit on the steep side.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I just was so fed up and frustrated that I just thought sod it just do it. I think I would have spent more keep replacing parts that didn't need replacing and not fixing the problem which would have ended in me taking a hammer to it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any idea how they tested for this?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Any idea how they tested for this?
    Sorry I have no idea. I just dropped it off to them and said keep it till it's fixed. Should have asked really but was just over the moon they found the problem.

I asume they plugged it into tech2 and could maybe feel the air being pulled in or pushed out of the hole in the gasket?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sometimes the fact the problem is resolved means more than the cost of doing so.

So glad you got it fixed in the end, I know how irritating it was replacing part after part with no change.

As for the price......its a main dealer so its probs about the going rate.

If it resolved the issue, you didnt have to get your hands messy and no more farting about changing parts willy nilly then Id be happy in your situation.

Lets hope u can stick around now ur back to enjoying the car

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers GeordieBandit.

Took it for a good run today down the A2 near me and it ran like a dream. Very happy. Hopefully it'll stay like that for a long time

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone have any idea how you would test for something like this?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    best way to check for air leaks is to start the engine and lightly spray a bit of wd40 round where the to parts meet if there is an air leak the engine tone will change as it sucks the wd40 in i lernt this when use to have a mini now use this way all the time

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Squirt carb cleaner or easy start round all the air intake manifold, if the revs change at all then there's your leak. Sounds like you were ripped off for the job though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast