Thread: Police Spec

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Police Spec

Hello all I am a new member and I am purchasing a Astra 1.7 DTI.My son is a fireman and he is buying an ex brigade Astra from them as they are disposing of all there Astras and buying Ford Fiascos. He keeps telling me that it is Police Spec but I dont know whay this means. Can any one out there help me.

Kind Regards
    John

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi John

I have a lot of friends who are in the police force and have always been told that buying a ex police car (or any other service car, fire brigade etc.) that they would be a good car to get.
    All ex service vehicles have been highly maintained and anything that requires replacing or slightly worn will be replaced no matter of cost.

They probably rack up a few miles but would drive like a new car.

If your son is buying a ex brigade Astra then I would assume it has been well looked after but I would still look around it just to make sure

Kev
    Your car cannot handle a driver of this magnitude!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tell them to leave the siren & grill lights in too!.
    lol.
    2007 (57) BLACK 1.3CDTi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be to sure about that sure they are serviced and things are replaced but they are also ragged from cold which isn't a good thing for any car pistons and other components take the brunt before the oil does it's job,good and bad here i'm afraid

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Electric Windows all round and half leather seats are among the 'perks' of service vehicles.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my mate just bought an ex police volvo v70 t5....... 217k on a 53 plate with all services and reciepts etc. its had everything replaced virtually! even come with warrenty on a new bigger than normal turbo and re-map receipt to 280bhp

woth gettin IMO.... but dont go paying too much as there usually cheap direct from the force, but they have "sellers" set up who flog em on for em usually, and add 20% on top what they get em for!
    No longer GSi power
    Dirty Derv Decked Vec is the way forward for me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have heard that most, if not all, ex-forces cars get driven into the ground as they are used on a daily basis by different drivers, driven harshly from cold and rough-shod over speed-bumps etc.

But does this 'rough treatment' pale into the shadow when we consider that these cars are also very well maintained?

Also wouldn't these cars have loads of holes in them from siren wires, gadget installations etc.
    And roughed up back seats?

Just a few questions

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As said driven hard from cold, and can be driven virtually for 24/48 hours at vigor,turned on ragged then turn off and we know that's a no no for a turbo engines can take a lot of punishments but when you start getting internal metal damage it's only a matter of time, their probably are good ones but to know that you've got to know who drives it normally almost everyone, how constant and how it's driven

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can speak from experience for the police cars... Yes they will have holes where sirens etc went. They are usually the higher spec of the market but don't tend to come with alloys etc. They probably will not have any sort of head unit, just a gaping big hole where the data terminal was.

Police cars are used 24/7 for about 4 years until they are disposed of. In that time, most have new turbos, have to goto the garage every few months for one fault or another. They also get into accidents now and then...

They are reasonably maintained but they are also ragged fairly well and from cold occasionally.

The seats may be worn and there could be interesting stains on the rear seats... :S.

Look out for lots of scratching around the doors etc, police utility belts tend to do that!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would never buy an ex police car for the same reason i would never buy an ex hire car, they get thrashed by everyone who drives them because repairs and maintenance are someone else's problem.
    "Drive em like you stole em" springs to mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast