Thread: how to dismantle the speedo?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face how to dismantle the speedo?

ive just brought some white speedo clocks with silver rings from a scrap yard. All i want to do is dismantle them to get the white dials and orange pins off and silver rings. Ive taken off the silver rings now im finding it difficult to take the white dials and orange pins off!! how do i do this? Or can i not? As i want to use my original speedo memory and change the dials so my milage is not messed up. Any help would be really appreciate it. Cheers Bex

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hey bex,

are the dials you wish to fit the white dials to originally white and match maximum speed wise?

just a little info for you.....
    Black 140 dial matts can not have white 140 dial matts placed inside them.
    this applies for 160 and 120 clocks too.
    also black matts cant be placed over the white matts...the reason being that 20mph on the 140mph white mats might be else where on the black mats.

you can how ever replace the whole speedo binnacle no problems one the revs match

if you twist the needles in the wrong direction and pull gently they should work free.

Dave
    i would if i could but i cant (be arsed)
    maybe I can....clicky ......now sold !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Actually a little research has shown that you can in fact put a white dial mat over a black speedo circuit board. It appears they share the same identical circuit boards, same part number and everything. Has to be the same type though eg 140 onto 140 not say 160 white onto 140 white or black.

All that you do is to reset the needles to zero on the new dial mat and it should work fine. However if you have a sat nav try testing the old clocks for accuracy before removing them, when you changed over the mats test it again and see if it's worse or better or the same.

Use a fork to remove the needles, slide it under and rock it back gently. Put a business card or something under it to protect the mat.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have to disagree with that Ken.. When I tried this they had different total swept angles. I can't remember which had the greatest (black or white), but it was not a case of swapping simply over and resetting the needles.

I didn't notice till it was all fitted back in the car (and GPS checked). Some other chap who had the idea to do a similar swap up again the same problem too.

Also the perspex diffusers are different between the two - black dials concentrate the light to the centre (needle) and outer edge (numbers), whereas the white ones diffuse the light evenly over the whole dial.

It's best to check the angles before striping therm down

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oddjob (or anyone else), could you post the part numbers that relate to the 120, 140 & 160 speedos.

I've just bought a cluster that has a white 140 dial mat in it (I currently have the cluster that has a 120 speedo but no rev counter). However when I fitted it the speedo was out and seemed to be more out the faster I went, but the odometer seemed to be logging the mileage correctly.

I'm trying to figure out if what I have bought is a 120 speedo that's had a 140 mat fitted to it.

The part no on mine is VDO 110008830023 09228754EC.

Thanks
    1999 - Astra Club 1.6 8V Auto & 2006 - Combo 1.3 CDTi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Before a few weeks ago I'd certainly agreed with you Geoff. However I started to note down numbers written on the circuit boards along with comments about what warning light SMDs were fitted to each type. Mainly so that I didn't accidentally fit a diesel circuit board into a petrol car. It was whilst doing this I noted that they all seem to share the exact same circuit board. For instance the double numeral white 140s have VDO 992 657 185 circuit board, when I dismantled a set of black double numeral 140s I expected the circuit board to have a different number, however even though they'd never been opened before they had VDO 992 657 185 circuit board as well. A comparison of the dial mats confirmed what you were saying, the white clocks start higher and are approx a few mph behind all the way up the clocks, 80mph is where 75mph is on the black mat. A check on white 160s and black 160s showed the exact same thing, they both share VDO 992 657 185, which is very weird as those are different clocks entirely but the exact same SMDs were present on all the boards. However it should be noted that single numeral clocks use a different board which is VDO 992 655 994, this board has a glow plug SMD fitted where the other board doesn't and the EML SMD is missing. I suspected this board was a diesel however it came out of a petrol car. I have a set of diesel clocks lying around and not dismantled them yet.

Other things I've noted, a comparison of 160 dial mats show that the black clocks start lower but this is true on the rev counter as well, 1000rpm on the whites is 750rpm on the blacks. Now we all know that they should show the same revs for the same engine speed but they don't. A black 140 dial mat has the marking in the EXACT same place as the black 160s but the speedo markings are different, they both start in the same exact spot at 0 but 140 on the 140 is 155 on the 160s. Now how can they do that and use the same circuit board?

I must admit I thought I'd got a handle on this but the more I investigate the more confused I get. The only thing I could think of was that Vx just set the needles lower on the black clocks so that the swept area was the same for the same exact pulse from the sensors.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just completely dismantled mine, circuit board has VDO 992 657 091 printed on it. Any idea which one it is?
    1999 - Astra Club 1.6 8V Auto & 2006 - Combo 1.3 CDTi

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol thanks for your hard efforts, i have made notes on all of your quotes and i shall keep u all informed as to what happens!! wish me luck!! Bex