Thread: Z18XE misfiring and in limp mode - no fault codes though!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Z18XE misfiring and in limp mode - no fault codes though!

My car's been playing up for a couple of weeks now, and I'm fast running out of ideas. I changed the crankshaft sensor after I had the code come up for that, and I've also cleaned TB and given her a good service.

the car's still running in limp mode (despite ECU being reset through disconnecting battery overnight) but no codes are being flagged up.

looking at the readings on my scangauge when running it, the only thing I can see that could be amiss is that when on idle (it idles fine) its Closed Loop, then when accelerating it'll suddenly go to Open Loop and the car kangaroo's/stutters/has less power than a pedal car.

IIRC, when the car's on closed loop, the o2 sensors are detecting air flow etc and regulating fuelling accordingly. by the same token, when it's OPEN, the o2 sensor etc isn't working? is this correct?

I have no fault codes coming up at all, except after 20-30seconds of constant acceleration once the loop opens. I get between 1 and 3 of the 301/302/303/304 codes signifying a misfire in that particular cylinder. there's no pattern to how many cylinders misfire or which ones, so I'm at a loss.

I'm sure half of what I've written is just the ramblings of a novice, but on the off-chance what I've put makes a little sense... any thoughts/help please folks?

thanks in advance
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Sorry that i can't help direct with the problem, but the codes - have you tried the pedal test?

I've tried readers on mine in the past showing no codes, but the pedal test returned 3 codes.

If hasn't already been tried, might be worth a shout??

Is there any time of the day/usage that it'll do this more than any other? Just wondering as part of your post sounds similar to what i've got - but that's only on first start up for a short while for me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    hey Pete,

had a very simialr problem to you recently, changed my coil pack and plugs for good measure.

Problem solved.....

see if you can borrow a coil pack i think the z18xel and some 1.4 engines share the same coilpack

Dave
    i would if i could but i cant (be arsed)
    maybe I can....clicky ......now sold !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it shouts coil pack to me

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    coil pack is my next port of call it seems. as for reading the codes, I've never had a problem with the Scangauge picking up codes, and in this case it still picks up the misfire. Pedal test doesn't show any others either.

I'll have to go have a look round the scrappy for a coil pack and try that - I know it's a chance I may pick up a dead one, but as I would probably get it for free (or the price of a beer) then I'll take that chance

cheers guys.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.