Thread: Replacement speedo reading wrong speed.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replacement speedo reading wrong speed.

I fitted my replacement dials that I bought of ebay as the original was the one without a rev counter, but have just realised I've made a monumental **** up!

As you can see the old dials went up to 120MPH.

And the new ones go up to 140MPH

So when I took it for a spin and compared the speedo with the sat nav the speed was out but the trip meter appeared to be clocking the right mileage, and also the LED warning lights for the auto gearbox didn't light up.

My questions are is it possible to correct the speedo in anyway using opcom?

If not, I am considering replacing the existing dial matts with the ones below as when fitted with these maps I suspect the speedo would then show the right speed.
    1999 - Astra Club 1.6 8V Auto & 2006 - Combo 1.3 CDTi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if u have an auto then u need to get clocks for an auto as they have the relevant LED telltales as youve since found out

the fact the max speed differs from ur original is irrelevant. 120/140/160 will work regardless of what model they are in

theres only 2 variables u need to ensure match ur factory clocks

1) diesel or petrol..... derv max out at 6k rpm.,,,,, petrol at 7k
    2) auto or manual clocks hence the telltale LED you are lacking.

Your best course of action is to source some auto clocks or a dial mat transfer if u wish to go down that route - just make sure they are from the matching clocks as early/later units differed

How far out was the speedo?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They seemed to get more inaccurate the faster I went. I know they are always slightly overread, however When I was doing 45 on sat nav the speedo read about 53, yet when I was doing 30 it was reading about 35. When I put the original dials back in they where always about 2mph fast at any speed.

I read on here (when it was too late) that you can't do a simple swap of 120mph clocks with 140mph clocks, however I was thinking the lockwood dials might solve the problem as the speed marking are slightly different. If you look at the Lockwood dial mats the 60MPH mark is at the top of the dial, on the white VX on it's top left.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whoever told u ya cant swap 140 for 120 is speaking total bollocks

I had 120 non rev counter ones like u then went to 140 then 160 clocks and all were perfect

obviously u cant put a 140 mat onto 120 clocks etc but fitting other max speed clocks to what was initially in there is perfectly fine

The fact u have an auto is gonna make things a little more tricky to ensure the tell tale lights up.

theres no other reason why they would read wrongly tho, its usually something u find with brand new uncalibrated clocks.

Vxl should be able to calibrate the clocks based on ur car but may cost a fair bit - say £60-80

they will not be able to adjust the mileage tho - a mileage correction place would be needed

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've adjusted the mileage with opcom so that is correct.

To be honest I'm wondering if the seller has changed the mats and it was originally a 120mph speedometer, as looking at the example of the 120mph mats above I would say that if mine had those on it would read the correct speed.

Part no on the lable is VDO 110008830023 09228754EC

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've took the speedo apart to try and figure out if the mat has been changed, but can't really see any clues if it has or not :-S

The mat has a the following number printed on it 88 233 706/0057, and the actual unit has 88 352 442 printed into the plastic if that means anything to anyone.

I can see there are no LED's for the auto lights, I guess it would just be a case of soldering the missing LED's in to get them working, or wiring up separate warning lights.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    possibility that there used to be black 140 dial mats and were replaced by white 140 dial matts, the mats are colour specific too..... get to a breakers yard and pick up a broke set of 140 BLACK clocks and throw in that mat and see how it looks when driving

DAve
    i would if i could but i cant (be arsed)
    maybe I can....clicky ......now sold !

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've posted the part numbers on the Vauxhall Mechanics forum to see if any of the experts on there can figure out what I've bought, judging by the amount they seem to be out I suspect that someone has put white 140 mats onto a black 120 speedo.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been given the following answer by one of the experts on the Vauxhall Mechanics forum, this guy has been working with Vauxhalls for donkeys years and knows his stuff.

Stuart, Astra G instruments have to be programmed with the correct code index depending on engine/transmission configuration, tyre size etc.

It seems I would have to update the EEPROM with the correct info, I have OP-COM and can upload and download the EEPROM but I don't know how you programme the damn thing!!