Thread: POWER STEERING PUMP FAILURE - Someone please help.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

POWER STEERING PUMP FAILURE - Someone please help.

I was told the fantastic news today that my Power Steering Pump has failed, all electrical faults have been ruled out, surely on a car that has only done 44k this should not be the case.. can anyone help, or offer advice?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If the car is not within warranty and this is not a recognised fault with the car, you wont have much recourse but to take it to a garage and get it sorted. 44k does seem low so it could be an idea to write to VX and ask if they would make a contribution - always worth a try.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for reply, investigations show, my car has the old mark 4/3 pump that they have now changed in the new mark 5's owing to being problematic, TRW pump or something so am hoping that this will mean they will go some way to contributing towards the rather large bill I was stuck with! As they offered extended warrantys on them cause of the issues.... so off to make some more enqs with the mark 3/4 owners to see if they can offer any knowledge!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll post in here instead of replying to the PM

The TRW pump you have is not actually one of the troublesome units used in the early Mk4 Astras.

What you have is the TRW Generation 2 pump used from approx 2000-2004 in the Mk4 then continued in the Mk5 from 2004 onwards

The troublesome pumps used in early Mk4 models from its introduction in 1998 to around 2000 was the TRW Generation 1.

Throughout the lifespan of the Mk4, there were 3 different pumps used.
    TRW Generation 1, TRW Generation 2 & Delphi

The Mk5 which you have used 2 different pumps.
    The TRW Generation 2 & the "ZF"

Therefore the pump you have is 100% definitely not one of the affected pumps Im afraid and has just unfortunately suffered a somewhat premature demise.

Although the Generation2 was used on Mk4 & Mk5 models - a Mk4 pump will not fit a Mk5 rack.

I know you mentioned a cheaper alternative than a dealer part at about 200 odd quid but If you havent actually purchased it yet Ive found what could be a cracking lil bargain

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-VAUXHALL-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Its a TRW Gen 2 pump from a 2008 Astra Mk5 with only 2000 miles!!!!!!!!!! and although the listing is for the entire steering gear its still at one hell of a price. They may consider selling the pump alone, if not Id buy the lot and chop n change.

Theres also this example of an individual Mk5 Gen2 pump on its own:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Astra...d=p3286.c0.m14

Due to the nature of ur situation Id be tempted to get the stupidly low 2k mileage one above though..... but that is dependent on whether you already agreed on the sale of the one u mentioned in the PM!!

Hope this has helped clear up a few of your concerns but Im sorry to say the pump you have is 100% definitely NOT one of the earlier TRW Generation 1 pumps that were a known issue.

Any problems you know where to contact me

HTH