Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

does anyone on here have a shih tzu

we got our puppy about 3-4 weeks ago,

and for some reason he likes to bite hands, he never bites me, just my daughter and the other half.

this is the only puppy i have had that has done this, we want to try stopping this biting before he get bigger then it will be hard to stop.

so im after any tips on how to stop this.

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    our labrador, we used the "tap on the nose" trick. works cause they don't like being "tapped" on the nose. you know, you don't do it too hard, but just a gentle tap, a bit harder than you would pat the dog, eventually he should get the idea.

we have also used a spray bottle in the past for example when the dog is barking at someone at the door, shout no and squirt towards their face with the water.

it has worked for us, but may not work with other dogs!
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Bite him back.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy View Post
    Bite him back.
    dont really want a mouth full of fur

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I went to a zoo once, it only had one dog.

...It was a sh*t zoo!
    Astra G 2.0T cabrio sunrise orange mica graphite BK999's! 240bhp/270lbs/ft....will have AP 4 pots except Godspeed are totally rubbish!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by munkie View Post
    dont really want a mouth full of fur
    Yep but it does work.

Try viniger in the water.
    All the books I've read say that when they do it yell "OWW No!" at the puppy.
    How ever you may want to back it up with a deep growl.
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is a very natural thing for puppies to do, he thinks that your daughter and your partner are other puppies, so litter mates equals, thereforeyou need to copy the way other puppies would react if this happened to them and they did not like it or it hurt, you have to yelp! I know you will think this is mad but if your daughter and partner let out a short sharp scream or any noise come to that, ever time the pup bites them he will soon stop it. Never hit him, he will learn nothing from this. He is still a tiny baby learning the way the world works, he was taken from his mother quite early (i know this could not be helped) so he has missed valuable lessons from mum and litter mates about what is acceptable and what is not. Jx

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynos XP View Post
    This is a very natural thing for puppies to do, he thinks that your daughter and your partner are other puppies, so litter mates equals, thereforeyou need to copy the way other puppies would react if this happened to them and they did not like it or it hurt, you have to yelp! I know you will think this is mad but if your daughter and partner let out a short sharp scream or any noise come to that, ever time the pup bites them he will soon stop it. Never hit him, he will learn nothing from this. He is still a tiny baby learning the way the world works, he was taken from his mother quite early (i know this could not be helped) so he has missed valuable lessons from mum and litter mates about what is acceptable and what is not. Jx
    the puppy got a shock when he bit my daughter as she is only 3 and it really hurt her, she scream out in pain, luckily its still his puppy teeth

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by munkie View Post
    the puppy got a shock when he bit my daughter as she is only 3 and it really hurt her, she scream out in pain, luckily its still his puppy teeth
    Yep, which are like bloody needles lol

Ditto Jaynes comment 100%, Aston still mouths a bit, but nowhere near as much as he used to, I used to 'scruff' (just grab a bit of skin on the back of the neck like the mother would have done, and 'growl') him a few times when he caught me and it actually really did hurt . He is a bugger for jumping up though, and his front paws very nearly reach my shoulders (and Im 5ft 8")

Now he's coming up to 6 months old and weighs 25kgs, I didn't want him being a 'nippy' dog lol

Anyway, with your pup, it will pass, and it will be like a baby teething at times with things being chewed.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my x had 1, lovly dog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast