Thread: Gear or not in gear?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Gear or not in gear?

ok. This is a bit of a daft one but im just keen to know if theres any significance in leaving my car in gear or neutral when i park? I know theres obvious reasons for leaving it in gear for example when parking on a slope. i leave my car in gear most of the time now regardless of whether im on a slope or level but does anyone know any advantages or warnings about leaving your car in neutral (proper way)or in gear? Also, if gear is the best way to leave your carthen which gear is best? Cheers people also, how many of you dip your clutch when you start your cars and do you dip the clutch even when your someone who leaves your car in neutral? i heard a rumour its always best to dip the clutch pedal when starting. Any thoughts???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The rumour you heard is poo. It's good practice though in case you forget to check whether it's in gear or not. The idea behind leaving it in gear (1st) on a slope is that if the handbrake fails, the car can't go anywhere. On a flat there's really no benefit of leaving it in gear at all... Unless you're one of these people who've gotten in to the strange habit of sort of pulling off as you're turning the key.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    it all depends on how u were tought to drive and how people around you drive. i always used to leave my old cars/vans in gear as it was the way my learner tought me but i got out the habit and now i only really leave it in gear on steep hills incase the hand brake does fail whilst its parked but now its how ever i pull up.. i dip the clutch, turn the ignition off and jump out without its in a gear or just coasting in neutral, dont really give it a second thought in whatever im driving
    i heard a story somewhere thought of signum's having a handbrake problem where they used to fail and some unlucky dude lived near the cost and ended up having his signum roll off the cliff edge because he parked up and left it in neutral.
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (145K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i member years a go some 1 cut my mams hand brake cable and pushed the car away lol... so since then she has always left it in gear and thats rubed of on me lol...
    astra cdti 202bhp 323 lb-ft torque 45mpg
    audi tt 180bhp and no lb-ft torque lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sure it depends when you learnt to drive,i was a learner in 1982 and was always told to leave the car in gear incase hanbrake cable snapped,guess this came from cars in the 60's and 70's with crap drum brakes and badly adjusted handbrake cables,and was told to always dip the clutch when starting,think this comes from older batteries and colder winters,cos the idea was if you pushed the clutch in when starting a car there was less resistance of moving parts and the engine turned over slightly quicker,prob dont need to do it today but old habits die hard and i always park in gear and dip the clutch when starting.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Thanks guys. So it looks like i may as well continue my old habit of leaving it in gear then seeing as it cant harm it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    leave it in 1st or reverse with the wheels facing the kerb
    never drink and drive .you might spill your drink
    **** n/a turbo is the way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i always leave it in 3rd

always have the clutch pressed when starting aswell
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    always leave it in gear when parked on my drive as my old gsi once rolled off into the road, luckily didnt hit anything. i probably didnt apply handbrake enough but i do it now just to be safe
    2006 Astra VXR, Flame Red, 19's, AFL, Cruise Control, CD70 + Aux in, CID, Bluetooth, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Sight & Light, Check Control, Speed Locking

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm ive never parked up and engaged the gear. Is this done after turning off the engine? I have looked around and a lot of people seem to engage a gear when parked and they have said that it is something they have been taught when taking lessons but I have never been told to do this. I have always been told to put the gear into neutral

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast