Thread: Car electrics gone mad? (Stereo/Horn)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Add SM Tuning on Facebook

Car electrics gone mad? (Stereo/Horn)

Hello guys. Got an astra mk5 on an 04 plate. Got some issues...My steering controls dont work no more, and also my horn no longer works. The strange bit is tho, That everything seems to do something else. Like, If I press my horn, The stereo starts searching for a new station and says "Memory-FM". Also, If I try and change the volume with the steering controls, it wont work for a minute then all of a sudden, it will start changing the CD track. Any ideas what can be causing this? Maybe I need to reset the stereo with Tech2 or something?

Thanks!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    How stange...after reading a few threads on here, about peoples previous problems like mine. I went to my car, Tried to get the horn working, tested it with lights on and lights off. Still nothing. So, I wacked the underneath of the steering column a few times, and bang. It started working. All steering controls work..everything is normal again...lose wire?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I believe that the connectors to the CIM can be troublesome, something that vauxhall did a replacement part for but others with their cars out of warrenty have managed to sort out
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Ok. It seems to be ok..for now. I will see how it goes. If it goes wrong again soon, then it will be a trip to vauxhall I think.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a horn that didnt work too in my first mk5, also the volume on steering wheel controls stopped working when the horn was not working. It worked some days then not others, ie when i needed it. then my CD30 MP3 starting turning itself on in the middle of the night. pissed off the neighbours.

Eventually got a new CD30 MP3 under warranty and that sorted the horn / steering controls for me, but perhaps they done other stuff too.
    The Griffmaster