Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help please

Hi All,

Right ive been meaning to do this for ages but my car just doesnt feel right!

Problems im facing, well not problems just cant work out why its happening:

1. Idling at approx 12 / 1300 revs warm and cold but after a few miles it drops to approx 800 where i assume it should be ? Any ideas ?

2. Sometimes feels like a dead weight... Pull off in 1st and it jerks back at me 2nd is snappy and doesnt pull until 3 / 4K revs, not always like this though hence the confusion, sometimes it pulls and pulls and pulls (even for a 1.4 16v lol)

3. swueaky brakes! Pads been changed twice! Once by the father in law and 2nd time by a vaux mechanic!

4. Fuel consumption, im getting approx 50 miles to a tenner!

BTW its a 1.6 16v Mk4 Hatch (5Dr)

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "sometimes it pulls and pulls and pulls (even for a 1.4 16v lol)"
    "BTW its a 1.6 16v Mk4 Hatch (5Dr)"

:s so is it a 1.6 16v then?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneSammie View Post
    Hi All,

Right ive been meaning to do this for ages but my car just doesnt feel right!

Problems im facing, well not problems just cant work out why its happening:

1. Idling at approx 12 / 1300 revs warm and cold but after a few miles it drops to approx 800 where i assume it should be ? Any ideas ?

2. Sometimes feels like a dead weight... Pull off in 1st and it jerks back at me 2nd is snappy and doesnt pull until 3 / 4K revs, not always like this though hence the confusion, sometimes it pulls and pulls and pulls (even for a 1.4 16v lol)

3. swueaky brakes! Pads been changed twice! Once by the father in law and 2nd time by a vaux mechanic!

4. Fuel consumption, im getting approx 50 miles to a tenner!

BTW its a 1.6 16v Mk4 Hatch (5Dr)

Thanks in advance

Wayne
    50 miles to £10 blimey when did you get the twin turbo supra engine and rear wheel drive fitted,on a sensible note i think it needs a service to start with.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quite possibly a mucked up or faulty EGR valve, it can cause all of those problems.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.4 lol
    I even edited that post due to a typo! TIT!

Its had a service recently, only thing i didnt change was spark plugs.

And im a novice here... the EGR valve is ?

And 50 miles to a tenner is work and back journeys mayb e 2 - 3 miles each way twice a day so its near enough right

On a long trip ill get 450 out of a tank though.

Thanks for the help so far!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    on a long trip especially motorways and such like i think the egr doesnt open and close as much due to the constant speed rather than the usuall coasting on normal driving. also what types of roads are you using. my 1.616v seems to use about the same as yours .... well maybe mines a bit better. but try getting a code reader or a diagnostic mechanic. auto engineer etc that can test your car. I had a chap from speed tune to look at mine and he diagnosed a faulty egr and fuel evap valve thingy was under to much pressure due to the egr therefore my car was constantly using fuel. hope this helps a bit

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    egr valve (exhaust recirculation valve), introduces small amounts of exhaust gas under certain engine loads to reduce the strength of the final gases in the exhaust. they are fine when they work but as they handle lots of carbon they gum up and often stick open/shut and cause poor running and idle. your fuel consumption is correct for long trips and 50 miles on a tenner is right for short trips as you are doing very short runs and the car is not fully warmed up so consumption will be higher

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what year is it?

If its the early X14XE used from 98-00 youll have an ICV - Idle Control Valve - this regulates the idle speed as the name suggests

Your first port of call in any situation like this MUST be to grab a tin of carb cleaner from a local car shop for about £3 (not halfords as they are at least twice the price!!!) check out the how-to section in here and locate the ones re: cleaning a throttle body and changing/cleaning the EGR valve - although the guides are based on a different engine the principle is the same

In addition to the above also clean the ICV if its the earlier model

report back ur findings and we can advise further if necessary.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for this,

Its on a Y plate so it 2001 so no ICV i think ? (z14XE)

As far as cleaning the TB goes, ive done that numerous times but to no avail, i think the EGR valve might be next, how much is that likelyo to cost me ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pic of the engine, if somebody can point me to the EGR valave and post it back that would be greatly appreciated ?

Also, could the state of the following be causing any of the problems mentioned above?

Thanks
    Wayne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast