Thread: 04 17 cdti astra

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

04 17 cdti astra

hi im new here my astra wont start [ie] the engine wont turn over. When i put the key in and turn there nothing. All the dash lights up as normal and the radio comes on but thats its. there been no warnig lights or anything started the car at work to night seem a bit slow at starting but thought thats cause it was there all day .got home stopped it as nomral went to start it about ten minutes later as was nipping to the shops and nothing can anyone help here need it for work
    As i said all the dash lights and radio comes on but when i turn the key engine wont turn over .

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like a knackered battery to me try bump starting it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drewfur View Post
    sounds like a knackered battery to me try bump starting it
    but all the radio and dash lights are working fine and battery is glowing green

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is there anyway of checking my starter motor is working as i was told by my local vauxhall garage that is the probably the cause of my astra not staring .

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you tried getting a push start? You'll need 2 or 3 fit mates to push you a fair speed then bump start it (or tow start it). If it starts OK then it's most likely the starter or the solenoid. Is there even a clicking noise when you try to start it, or is it totally quiet?
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS View Post
    Have you tried getting a push start? You'll need 2 or 3 fit mates to push you a fair speed then bump start it (or tow start it). If it starts OK then it's most likely the starter or the solenoid. Is there even a clicking noise when you try to start it, or is it totally quiet?
    Under no circumstances should he attempt to push/bump start a diesel, VX for one don't recommend it. Try connnecting a booster to the battery and starting, if it starts check your alternator is working, you should see around 12.5 to 13 volts measured across the battery terminals with the booster disconnected when running, any lower would point to a alternator fault and that will need to be replaced.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrantophis View Post
    Under no circumstances should he attempt to push/bump start a diesel, VX for one don't recommend it.
    Rubbish, total rubbish. What's the difference between a starter motor turning the flywheel and the gearbox turning it? None.

They likely say that to avoid people bump starting and losing control when they engine starts (IE they're covering their asses when someone gets it all wrong and crashes).
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bump starting the car will not work if the battery is flat to the point that the E.M.S. system doesn't operate. I would certainly measure the voltage across the battery first.
    Also if the alternator is shot, don't drive the car for your own safety. There are several key items that work from the electrical system on these engines including the P.A.S. pump, and various safety features.

Rather then attempting to bump start the car, just charge the battery with a decent charger, if the battery is faulty the charger should indicate this. If it charges succesfully and when you refit it the car starts, check the alternator is charging. Do not attempt to drive the vehicle if it isn't, as the battery will discharge fairly quickly.

P.S. you won't get any warning indication that the alternator is faulty if it is still producing some voltage, mine was only chucking out 9 volts which wouldn't charge the battery but fooled the EMS into thinking it was still working correctly.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrantophis View Post
    Bump starting the car will not work if the battery is flat to the point that the E.M.S. system doesn't operate. I would certainly measure the voltage across the battery first.
    Also if the alternator is shot, don't drive the car for your own safety. There are several key items that work from the electrical system on these engines including the P.A.S. pump, and various safety features.

Rather then attempting to bump start the car, just charge the battery with a decent charger, if the battery is faulty the charger should indicate this. If it charges succesfully and when you refit it the car starts, check the alternator is charging. Do not attempt to drive the vehicle if it isn't, as the battery will discharge fairly quickly.

P.S. you won't get any warning indication that the alternator is faulty if it is still producing some voltage, mine was only chucking out 9 volts which wouldn't charge the battery but fooled the EMS into thinking it was still working correctly.
    I stuck on a new fully charged battery and there s still nothing it's sounding like the starter motor as giving up the ghost. will found out tomrrow as taking it off to get tested before i fork out on a new one .

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Charge the battery fully and check for a faulty earth, once the battery is fully charged you can take a jump lead from bat neg earth to a good point on the enfine block, if the vehicle starts you can confirm that an earth fault is present. If still no start you need to check the battery is not defective. When you get the engine started you need to check the charging circut is intact, Quick Fit sometimes do this for free.

Ps the fact that the radio works is not relevant as the engine requires large ampage to start.

Good luck