Thread: The Grille!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry The Grille!

Mine decided to just fly off on the motorway yesterday, cost me £40 odd for a new 1, it comes as 3 bits, they didnt give me the bit that the badge slots into then you have to mess about melting the plastic bits on the badge and trying to refit the grille without breaking any clips (i did 2) and the bodyshop advised me to drill 2 holes and use self tappers to stop it happening again because its a very common problem apperently!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pretty poor really, thats £40 you shouldn't have to spend.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Was it just the standard gsi grille?
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very strange! What grille?
    Drives an SRi Daddy Wagon

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its a standard grille off a cdti!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's that common I've never heard of it happening before!!

I have taken my apart, colour coded it and put it back together and it's still never come off!!

I can't ever imagine anyone agreeing that a grill falling off is a 'common occurrence'

The black piece is help on by 4 clips and also, when the badge is in place, that is also bigger than the hole. So for the black piece to come off, someone must have either had the badge off or tried to get the badge off and dislodged it all!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you must have mis-understood, when i said the grille, I meant the whole grille not just that black bit and the badge, ie just to make it a little simpler for you to understand, all the bits in that picture, flew off on the motorway in 1 piece. When I went to my local dealers the 2 lads in the bodyshop said it was common so I can only assume that they must have replaced some for the same reason, or because you have never heard of it happening before it must be me lieing!
    The point of the thread was to highlight that it had happened and for people to just have a look at theirs to see if its a little loose and stop it happening to anyone else.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mike, I'm not calling you a liar ffs. All I'm saying is that grills just don't fly off for no reason!

Sorry for trying to help!

I'll elaborate!

The Grill on mine, I believe on the later facelift models they are not screws holding it on but pop fasteners, but even so! There are 4 screws holding mine on. You have to take these off first before you lift the grill out unclipping the botton locating tabs out of the locating holes in the bumper. With the bonnet closed, it's not physically possible to do this!

And the grill is in 5 parts. The grill, the upper and lower chrome pieces, the backing plate for the badge and the badge itself!

And again, I'm not calling you a liar, your grill came off, but there has to have been something seriously wrong with it in the first place for it to happen!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well mine did, like I was trying to say its probable that mine was a bit loose due to it being removed at some point before I bought the car. The lad in the bodyshop said thats likely to be the case, just a heads up to let people check that theres isnt loose. It wont hurt weather its a brand new car or not at the end of the day its £40 odd for the 3 bits I had to buy that are only held on the car by some plastic clips.
    I like how you have colour coded your grille btw.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry if it came across badly, it's the only thing I hate about forums. People never know when you're genuinely trying to help or having a dig!

It's a right pain in the backside taking the chrome bits off to rub down and spray but worth it. Thanks for the comment bud!