Thread: Debt letter :-S

Status
    Mentioned in
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Debt letter :-S

Had a strange letter today

Basicly I was with 02 phone company ages ago, and got a letter off them today.....

You ended your contract july 2007, you owe us £49 pay in 2 weeks or we pass it on to bla bla.....

Now this is dated 2 YEARS after my contract ended! Can they do this, I cant remember owein them anythin as my phone bills are always paid on time.

Just wana know wer I stand, as id rather not pay somebody £49 for the crack because they recon I owe money.....

Cheers in advice, Dan

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    id phone them up asking exactly what the money was for, if you always paid on time i shouldnt thing there was any reason to worry. long shot but do you still have your final o2 bill?
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    Mentioned in
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I wouldnt know where the old bills etc are, the accountant deals with it all (selfemployed tax related bolex lol)

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ah got ya, in that case id request a statement telling you what the money was for, soo many people on the con at the moment you need to be 100% sure before you pay, or you could call there bluff and not pay it
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Darn it, had my response typed out and then I accidently pressed back on the mouse!!

Take 2:

I had a similar letter from some dodgy debt company regarding a 3 bill from 3 years prior. As soon as I received it, I got onto Trading Standards and they clarified that companies can chase debts that are upto 6 years old (IIRC) so it is legal.

If you are going to contest the bill, get onto the debt company and advise it is in dispute with the original debtor and to place it on hold (they should be able to do this, but you'll probably continue receiving annoying letters through the post).

I wouldn't just ignore it though as advised above because it will affect your credit rating if you don't sort it out. So what I did was, firstly get back to 3 and gave em a right earful about good CS etc, as they hadn't put in much effort trying to contact me directly and then just sold the debt onto a third party! Anyway, after much arguing and annoyance, they agreed to knock £5 off my next bill (I still had a different contract with them) and that was only after getting a supervisor on the phone. I then received a call from the debt company who said if I could settle there and then, they would take a reduced amount. So in the end for a £15 bill i only paid something like £7 and taking into account the £5 credit from 3, I only paid £2

Might not work for you, but if you don't ask, you don't get. Just blag to the debt company that you're in hardship and can only pay X amount a month and they will most likely offer you a settlement amount and they can do this because they buy the debts in bulk from companies who cant be asked to chase themselves for peanuts!