Thread: EGR Fault?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

EGR Fault?

Wright my friend has a 1.7cdti estate the other week the engine managment light came on and put car in limp home mode, so they took car to vauxhall and they said egr valve that'll be £330 to fix.

Took car to there own garage they charge them £245 for new and fitting, anyway fault has started to happen again light on, car power reduced stop car turn off then back on and it's okay the garage have tried another egr valve to eliminate it.

Now Vauxhall say there's nothing they can do needs to come on and stay on what a suprise, and I haven't been able to get a fault code but wondered if anyone on here would have and idea of what it could be have left my scan gauge with them to try and get a code.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so did this happen with a new EGR valve fitted, sounds identicle to my EGR valve failure, replaced Myself (its really easy, just unplug and unscrew old one, plug in new one and screw down) cost about 75 quid and has never done it since. forget 200/300 quid, just buy the part and do it yourself.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is limp home mode an actual thing? =P or just driving slowly? ha
    My Auto-Bio - HERE

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arnienemo View Post
    is limp home mode an actual thing? =P or just driving slowly? ha

U'll know if it ever happens to you!!
    No astra at the moment, have a Vw golf 1.9Tdi, but watch this space...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

The limp home mode is a program in the ECU to get you home but prevent too much damage. I had this when my MAF sensor went. The garage thought it was the EGR at first and it took three days to diagnose and repair. A faulty MAF can cause an error which makes it look like the EGR has gone.
    That is down to the car thinking there is hardly any air going in, so it messes up the amount of diesel injected and gives off smoke. That's picked up and shown as emissions being at fault. You would need to get the error code which should be stored. You can do that by the "pedal test", holding the brake and accelerator down fully and turning to the second position on the ignition. The milage display will show "ECN" for Error Code Number and then numbers you can look up on this site. £330 is far too much for a repair.
    When does the error light show? Is it at idle, when the car is revved near 4000rpm and/or driven at more than 40mph in 4th gear?
    Does the error light go off if the car is stopped, ignition turned off and restarted? After that if given a good thrashing does it come on again?
    I think they are looking at the wrong thing.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wright still haven't got the code but sounds like your on to something they said it comes on around 4000rpm and resets when the ignition is turned off, will do further investigation didn't think it was the egr but haven't a lot of experience with the 1.7 cdti engine will keep you posted.