Thread: Several problems with car

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Several problems with car

Hi guys, I've been having several problems with my Astra and was wondering if any of you would be able to shed some light on the solutions.

1) The speedo and abs are very temperamental. Sometimes they work fine, other times they wont. I often park the car for 5 mins, and they have started/stopped working again. I understand this is probably to do with the nsf abs sensor. This has been cleaned and put back in. Could it still be the sensor, or perhaps loose wiring?

2) Ok, this is why I put this in the engines section. My car idles around 750rpm. Sometimes it will cut out when I slow down and put the clutch in. I have read about this, and it seems a common fault, usually fixed by cleaning the throttle body. Well, mine wasnt very dirty at all, but I cleaned it anyway. Unfortunately, it has made no difference. Sometimes it will idle fine, other times it will drop straight to 0 revs. Could it be the EGR valve, or maybe the thermosat (see number 4)? The car works better with air conditioning on, as the revs increase.

3) After cleaning my TB, my friend dropped my bonnet from a fair height, and now it wont open again. The latch is sticking out the front of the car, and wont go forwards or backwards, and the lever inside the car and be pulled or pushed, but nothing happens. How do I fix this?

4) The temperature gauge is very weird. It seems to take ages for the car to warm up, it will then move up to about 80 degrees, and then will randomly drop to the stop again. If I'm sitting in traffic, then the temp will rise to about 90, and will sometimes stay there for a while, but after having been moving for a bit, it will drop back down to the stop. Also, sometimes after leaving the car parked for 15 mins, the temp gauge will read higher when I restart it than if Id been driving for 30 mins. Could this be an issue with the thermostat? And could this affect the idling of the engine?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this. I like the Astra, but only got it recently (none of these things showed up on the long test drive!) and still have my Corsa. I'm hoping I dont have to go back to the Corsa.

Sorry forgot to mention, car is a T reg 1.8 CDX with a x18xe1 engine.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1 - not to sure but i'm sure somone will come up with the goods.

2 - I have similar problems i'm going to ask my mate to swap egr's too see if it cures the problems i'm faced with as his runs fine better than mine in fact and his z16xe is 2 years older than mine.

3 try get under the car to make sure the lever is stall attched to the clip, you can get a hand up there to feel.

4 - its your thermostat is knackered 100% 45 quid from vaux or about 20 from lmf vauxhall. i fixed mine when i got the car 6 months ago as i had the exact same problems.

hope thats some help to you mate

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I might try cleaning my EGR anyway (need to get the bonnet open first!) and see if that makes a difference. In fact, I just took it for a drive, and the idle is higher, which is good as I feel it was too low before, and the car never faultered once. I'll keep an eye on it though.

As for the thermostat, how difficult are they to replace? Also, I should mention that my heaters still give warm/hot air, despite the fact that the temp gauage shows the car as being cold.

Oh, and another thing... I dont think this car has ever had its cambelt replaced, though I cant be sure. How much do you reckon it would cost to have a full belt and water pump change?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the thermostat is easy to replace if its on the front of your engine to the left as it took me about half hour tops on the third attempt, i say the third attempt as i bought two copy parts from lmf vauxhall they both cracked, as they weren't the same snug fit as buying from vaux bit more expensive but well worth it.

Yours might be at the back of the engine underneath the cambelt so you might want to replace whole lot at same time. i'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge will confirm this, don't know why no one is helping you out here.

i had my cambelt fitted by a friend for £110 all in. but in a garage your talking about double that and nearer the 400 mark?!?!?!?

hope this helps.....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Need urgent help please!

Speedo and abs still not working, even though I just had the NSF abs sensor replaced. Apparently there is a fault code in the abs control unit. Does this sound likely?

The car still cuts out at junctions. It tends to get better after I've driven it for a while, but when its cold especially, its really bad. Constantly cutting out when I put the clutch in. The revs will either drop straight to 0, or to about 500, and then slowly decrease and stall out. However, if/when it warms up (thermostat still dodgy me thinks) the revs will drop to about 1100, then slowly drop to 900 and idle there. If the car is playing up, it will idle at 750. If its OK, it will idle at 900. I've noticed no other running problems.

Many thanks!