Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Starting issues

Right well this isn't a major issue,

When i start the car from cold first thing in the morning its starts first time with no problems. When i get to work the car sits there all day and i tend to listen to the radio on my breaks. Then when i get in the car and try and start it, its takes ages to it to come to life?!

Then sometimes when i start the car not long after i have driven home the car can either start ok first time or take a bit longer to start?

Could this be a sign that my battery is on its way out? Any ideas?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    Hi mate, when you say it takes ages to come to life is it turning over slow or is it turning over normal but just not firing up first time

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have to hold the key for a while to get it to fire up! One its started it pretty much ok! Revs high for a bit them its fine?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the revs are the choke m8 mine does it as for the starting it might be the the starter ant engaging get you battery tested 1st !
    Back in an astra and loving it

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    the normal signs for a battery or starter motor that are failing is a slow sluggish turnover when trying to start, Maybe if it is taking a while to kick in then it could well benefit from a service (if it's been a while) especially change the plugs and see if that helps. listening to the radio in your breaks will not normally drain a battery if it is well charged and you are not running amps etc off the head unit. i recently serviced a mates MG ZS and that was a bugger to start sometimes, a new air filter and plugs and it fires up 1st time now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5853moore View Post
    the revs are the choke m8 mine does it as for the starting it might be the the starter ant engaging get you battery tested 1st !
    Revs ain't the problem mate, i ain't bothered about that. Just getting it started.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    the normal signs for a battery or starter motor that are failing is a slow sluggish turnover when trying to start, Maybe if it is taking a while to kick in then it could well benefit from a service (if it's been a while) especially change the plugs and see if that helps. listening to the radio in your breaks will not normally drain a battery if it is well charged and you are not running amps etc off the head unit. i recently serviced a mates MG ZS and that was a bugger to start sometimes, a new air filter and plugs and it fires up 1st time now
    Just basically been serviced this week mate. I had the oil done and i have done the plugs and air filter. All i have is a Pioneer headunit - no amps etc. Just didn't wanna get a battery and it doesn't cure it as they a bit on the pricey side!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have the same problem on mine! but i usually just take the throttle body and inlet pipes off and give it a good clean with carb cleaner...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Seems to be the time for this problem, mine's been doing it for months, Ffoeg said his has started to do the same thing recently, and there's been a fair few posts on here about the same thing!

I'm tempted to suggest starter motor but if it is that for me then it is taking ages to fail!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i find it happens to me more in the warmer weather, especially if i do lots of small journeys in the day...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikescoupe View Post
    i have the same problem on mine! but i usually just take the throttle body and inlet pipes off and give it a good clean with carb cleaner...
    I checked the throttle body a few months back and looked ok? Also was only replaced last year at vauxhall! May be worth cleaning it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Seems to be the time for this problem, mine's been doing it for months, Ffoeg said his has started to do the same thing recently, and there's been a fair few posts on here about the same thing!

I'm tempted to suggest starter motor but if it is that for me then it is taking ages to fail!
    Hmmm how much is a starter motor if its that?

May try a new battery? See if it helps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast