Thread: In For An Expensive Month :(

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In For An Expensive Month :(

Ok... After paying £3,068 for insurance last month, as I only had £2,200 saved up my bank account was MINUS £-800 for a while

Just been paid yesterday, so Now I have a whopping total of £30 something quid, I'm worried that I've got a lot to pay for, so I'm in need of some advice

My Exhaust has just started playing up
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=208488

Cambelt Is going to need doing as car is on 73,000 miles

The M.O.T is in a few weeks, if theres anything wrong with it I don't know how I'm going to afford it
    [ My Car ]

You're not here for a long time, You're here for a good time!

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £3k on insurance

You either live in a war zone or have some serious motoring convictions!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    18 Years old

1 x Speeding Conviction (36 in a 30, got that the day I passed my test)
    2 x Claims (it was 1 accident, which wasn't my fault, my mate was driving my car and he binned it, which counted as 1 claim, then another car went into the back of me on the motorway a few minutes later, which counts as the 2nd claim)
    [ My Car ]

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ouch! Feel for you.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm not after sympathy... I can't do anythig about it so best just to get on with it... I'm after some advice on the best way to approach the situation
    [ My Car ]

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hate insurance company's to my core. Because its a legal requirement they charge you a fortune.

I'm 33, passed my test 3 years ago, car kept in the street and works car park, only do 4000 miles a year and i done a quote for a 2.2 Mk4 Sri and fully comp i was £495 for the year.

Thats cheaper than the £800 i'm paying now for my 1.6 8v LS it just doesnt add up. Especially since i'm currently only third party lol
    IT Services for Glasgow, UK
    This is only here for google webmaster tools purposes.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best answer I can give is to try and find a member who's replaced their exhaust on the same type car and buy that cheap. You can repair a blow but TBH your just postponing the problem.

On the cambelt, find a mate who's good at doing this type of thing, buy a cambelt kit cheap off E-Bay and do it yourself or even ask your dad if he can lend a hand.

I do all my own repairs, why pay hundreds when with a little effort you can do it yourself. I pay for an MOT and servive at the same time (get that cheap as well) only because the tester can't then fail the car on a seviceable item as it's his fault if he does. I change the oil and filter every 6 months and have never had a real problem with the car yet and I've had it 6 years now.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Ken,

I do look after my car, I don;t trash it at all, So I'm hoping it will be ok, the engine is sound, it's just thinks like brake pipes, and I dunno really, everything seems expensive when it comes to cars

I think I would rather the garage do the cambelt, as I don't have any access to facilities... I have hundreds of tools from work, just not the resources, like getting the engine out the car, and a ramp etc. Things a garage has, and if it goes wrong I can always take it back to the garage.

The exhaust I would attempt myself, if I can find out what the problem is, and what I need
    [ My Car ]

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Technically speaking your cambelt doesn't need doing for another 7000 miles mate so may be able to wait another month or two if cash is tight.

If you're after a new exhaust, a hunt round the local scrappy might be able to turn up a used one in decent nick for a few quid?
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes that's true, But It will be sods law you know, I'll leave the cambelt for 1 more month and it will snap on me

Once I know exactly whats up with my Exhaust I can work on the problem
    I'm hoping for a pay rise from work in September once I enter my 3rd year into the apprenticeship

I jsut thought, I've gotta get my dad a b.day present too
    Hmm, I'm sure he'd love a cambelt kit for a mk4 Astra
    [ My Car ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast