Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

To the other Man Utd fans of the board

i know there's a few.

What's your view on the close-season & thoughts on next season?

Personally, i'm keeping an eye on the odds for a "No Trophies" bet.

I know 1 man doesn't make a team, but when Ronaldo wasn't playing last season, we weren't scoring really. Even though he only put in about 75% effort (or seemingly).
    Nobody, probably not even Rooney, puts in as much effort up front as Tevez & he's gone also.

As the so called biggest club in the world, we seem to be Real Madrid's bitch in recent years.

I'll let Owen's performances do the talking before i pass judgement on him as it could go either way really.
    Valencia imo isn't a replacement for Ronaldo or Tevez.

We've failed to bring in someone "big", when other clubs are doing just that.

There's those who say "sod Ronaldo, better off without him". I'm not so convinced. I think it's more like false hope.

Anyway, i think we'll possibly make the 1/4s of the Euros, i think we'll be 2nd in the league at best & our best hope of silverware is going to be one of the cups - fa/carling.

Pessimist maybe, but if at the end of the season i've been proved right, then i'll have been a realist.

what's your take?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Doom and Gloom bringer I see.

1. Who could of replaced Ronaldo?
    2. Ask your self, Was Tevez really that important?

Tevez is gone, Last season he didn't score too many. Berbatov setup more than Tevez did. Scored roughly the same if not more. Different styles but Berbadud was more effective.
    Did you see Tevez in the FA cup match? He played from the start and done nothing!
    Tevez had energy and I liked him. But as my dad said from the start when he played for us: He has a touch like a baby elephant and he was greedy.

Ronaldo has left us, But what I might add the 2 most important goals of the season came from Macheda.
    Ask your self this, How many times did you get pissed of at Ronaldo last season? I spent the first 2 thirds of the season angry at him for doing nothing, missing chances, complaining like a child, rolling on the floor. So I'm not sad to see him go. Will miss his skill as he is the best player in the world along with messi.

Now I know he is amazing. But we had a team built around him. Was always him him him. We look more balanced now.

Only player I wanted was Benzema. Rest were all maybes and the prices for some 20-23yr olds was disgrace. So who could of replaced Ronaldo?

we have a number of young players in our squad. I think Sir Alex is right to shut up shop. Prices were nuts this summer and none of the big names would of replaced Ronaldo anyway.

Not that happy with our Midfield but we do have more than enough players.
    Owen will be the transfer of the season if he stays fit. Proven scorer, when fit he will score. United always create chances, Always!

Now we may not win anything next year, we had 3 great seasons in a row. We are under going a major change and rebuild of our squad this season. Make are break for the likes of Anderson, Nani.

Will be an interesting season and I expect big things From Rooney, Berbatov. So I'm not too worried. We will win at least 1 trophy but I have no idea which.

Ronaldo may be gone but so is Keane, Ruud + number of other big names during Sir Alex's days. Has he ever let us down? Trust in Fergie. If not this season then Defo the next.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    The Modfather
    Mentioned in
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Add James on Facebook
    Bloody hell its essay time

With the exception of Man Shitty no one in the premiership will be spending big money this summer.
    "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel, is only the train coming to finish you off"

The skunk is not dead, it just has a new smell!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelob View Post
    Bloody hell its essay time

With the exception of Man Shitty no one in the premiership will be spending big money this summer.

Everyone likes Spain simples. Lower tax(23% with the loop hole) Sun, Hot women etc etc Why would you not go to spain lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    The Modfather
    Mentioned in
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Add James on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by joemailey View Post
    Everyone likes Spain simples. Lower tax(23% with the loop hole) Sun, Hot women etc etc Why would you not go to spain lol
    I dont see Polar Bears and Penguins queuing up to go to Spain
    "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel, is only the train coming to finish you off"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well i think we will still win the league but i dont think we will win the Champions League. But aslong as we are above Liverpool then ill be happy.

I think macheda may well shock a few people next season if he gets a decent chance. Watched some highlights of him in reserves and he looks class.

Gabriel Obertan has alot of potential but i think itll be next season before we see the best of him.

Valencia was a waste of money imo, ill prolly be proved wrong. After all i think SAF knows what hes doing
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well where to start bout it all.....

Gutted to see Ronaldo leave
    Ragin to see Tevez Leave to the dark side!!

I do agree that with Ronaldo gone it will put a bit of doubt in alot of united minds but as everyone says, 1 man doesnt make a team... the guy is an amazing player and will be missed.

HOWEVER, Fergie know's what he is doing...

i think with Tevez and Ronaldo out the picture the lime light will be on Rooney Again, through him in the center of the pitch Owen(who i was doubtful about signing him, but as joemailey said He is a proven scorer...) up front with berbatov(didnt rate berbatov up front last season but hopefully he gets his finger out lol)

I do think Utd will hold there own in the Premiership and Europe

So i am confident about next season should get up set because Ronaldo has jumped plain to The 2nd best team in spain lol

Rye

Edit - and not forgetting Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic in which tosic only played a handfull of games and Ljajic didnt play at all.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ronaldo is a loss for sure and not someone you can actually replace, simply cause there is no one else like him. But To be fair him leaving makes us a bit more balanced as a team in that SAF does not need to accomdate him, however nice a problem that is.

Tevez for all his endevours (and appreciated tremedously by me for them) was just never going to bring us 20+ goals a year, and added to the fact that he just did not seem to be an impact player like the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney etc simply made it not good business for us, especially as he was obviously not prepared to sit on the bench going so far as to question SAF. Simple for me good riddance and do not expect a warm welcome when you come with City,

Would I have liked to have seen someone else come in..... yes. Benzema No (he goes missing in far to many games and while young his touch is no-where near that of a few other youngsters I have seen. Potential yes, but not someone I could have seen performing from day 1.), Ribery no (to much like tevez for me, lots of effort, not a great touch (at least not in the Rooney or Berbatov vein and lastly no end product).

Someone of the likes of Costa, Luis Fabiano, Yaya Toure or Villa (but he would go for stupid money so pass).

Still if this is the end of our newcomers so be it, we are in great shape. Giveen the fact that he might actually play players in position now we might actually look more balanced across the park. Also there was more than enough shown by the likes of Rafael, Fabio, Anderson, Possebon and Macheda. Heck even Tosic looked good albiet brief appearence. His height is deceptive cause boy he is quick and seems to have a great touch. I expect great things from these this year. Oh and Nani he needs to actually get down to playing his own football rather then trying to be Ronaldo.

But in the end of the Day there is one person I trust who never seems to fail us and that is SAF. His judgment I do not question, something even Ronaldo noted in his hello speach to RM.

End of the day, as with any season we are guarentee'd nothing even though we expect everything, and going in to this season nothing changes, we remain where we were.... one of the favourites. How it pans out we wait with baited breath to see.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    *tbh, i don't know who could've replaced the role Ronaldo played for us. I was hoping we'd have gone all out for Messi or someone like that, but it was never going to happen. I've not seen this Ribery play before to pass comment on him.

*people bring the stats on Tevez from last season - but he didn't play THAT much. Berbatov was played a lot more. The season before when Tevez played more, wasn't he Utd's 2nd top scorer? He wasn't given a decent run at all last year.

* I think V.important to the team is Hargreaves imo. I don't get why so many people have a downer on him. I think he's a brilliant player & imo it seems he's underrated if so many people hate him & think he's shit.

* One thing's for sure with Ronaldo gone - the chances we get from free kicks will decrease dramatically!!! lol.

* anyone remember what happened the last time we had an out and out striker? As in, Nistelrooy. Without looking up the stats, we weren't THAT successfull IIRC. We seem to function better without having predators up front, but we shall see. I really hope Owen turns out to be gold for us.

* True indeed with Macheda's goals. He arguably got the most important goal of the season for us. How many times has Ronaldo got us the 3 points with a 1-0 though. He must've bagged 2 goals in a game more time than a lot of Utd players did - he was always seemingly getting 2, but only ever once getting the 3.

* I think once they gel, however long that may take, Real will win the champs league. It took them a while last time they bought all the top players, but if they sort their defence as well as they've sorted their attack, then they'll be a seriously strong team. I'm bitter though & hope Ronaldo wins very little with his "dream team".

* As for Fergie, that's what i've thought - he's always made "shock" decisions. Has never messed about when it comes to the big names & has always got the job done in the past. Can he work it once again? We shall see.

On a side note, who do you think are our closest challengers?

I think that so long as Liverpool don't sell any of their better players, then they'll push us even further next season. If they hadn't thrown away such stupid points on the draws, or if Torres hadn't been injured as much as he was, imo they'd have had the league sewn up quite early.

Status
    The Modfather
    Mentioned in
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Add James on Facebook
    I hope Liverpool win the league

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast