Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk 4 Astra Diesel starting porblems

Hi,

This is my first thread on here, and i'm in need of some help.

The other week i was driving up a hill, i was low on diesel, half way up the hill my car cut out as if it was out of fuel, i tried to start the car again straight away and it started up but as soon as i tried to pull off it cut out again, i went and fetched some diesel and put it in the car put it would not start at all, the engine just turns over and over and it will not fire at all.

I got the car towed home, i still can't get the car to start at all, any help please!!!

By the way the car is a 1999 diesel estate, it's the gm engine

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it sounds like you have an air-lock....when diesels run out of fuel and then refilled they tend to get an air lock in the fuel system thus starving the engine of any fuel. I had this on my 2.0DTi and solved it simply by towing the car down the road in 3rd gear with the ignition on...however there maybe other, simpler methods of curing this.

hope this helps!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you have an air lock or suspect one, check the fuel filter housing and see if there is any fuel in it, if not fill that up with some diesel.

You could loosen the bolts on the injector pipes as well and then try turning it over, and once fuel starts flowing stop, tighten bolts and then fire it up.

Make sure the atery is well charged as well, when i had to do my derv i had to charge the battery for hours before as it uses so much power to try turning it over (so to speak)

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, I've put some diesel in the fuel filter, i've filled it up and tried to start it but it still won't start, then when i've gone back to filter it is not full but there is still a little diesel in the bottom.

If i crack the injector pipes and then turn the engine over how long roughly will it take for the fuel to come through?

I'm really lost with this

One more thing to add, it is low on oil, will this make any difference?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get some oil in it mate.

Dont try starting it with low oil anyway as your damage the engine.

If the fuel is 'disappearing' then its got air lock most likely, but shouldnt be too long nmate, max of minute or so, just do bursts of say 10 secs of so. then when it starts to splutter into life, keep it pinned and keep foot on accelrator. make sure plenty of diesel in tank though, as your going to be dreging all the crap up into the pump otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by oratebod View Post
    Thanks for that, I've put some diesel in the fuel filter, i've filled it up and tried to start it but it still won't start, then when i've gone back to filter it is not full but there is still a little diesel in the bottom.

If i crack the injector pipes and then turn the engine over how long roughly will it take for the fuel to come through?

I'm really lost with this

One more thing to add, it is low on oil, will this make any difference?

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, sorry to seem thick, but do i do one injector at a time and in which order do i need to do them?

Yes the fuel is disappearing somewhere, when i took the 2 pipes off the filter (the out and in) i can suck diesel through the in pipe which is coming from the tank, then the pipe that goes from the filter to the pump i can suck diesel back from the pump up the pipe, is this normal?

Thanks